Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

Are there any measures that could be used to permit permanent employees coming to work from their homes in their company supplied uniforms?  This is a point of verification. My understanding is that any employee working in contact with products designated for Food Packaging must physically change into their work clothes in changing room prior to accessing the shop floor.

WowQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

When in doubt, risk assessment. If you can prove there is no risk then it is permissible. If not, implement procedures requiring changing on site. Procedure, monitoring, record, verification.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Hello Robert,

IMEX and IMO, it is easier not allow employees who directly in contact with the product. Laundry must be done inside the plant. Control is easier and simple.

regards,

redfox

GrumpyJimmy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

Are there any measures that could be used to permit permanent employees coming to work from their homes in their company supplied uniforms?  This is a point of verification. My understanding is that any employee working in contact with products designated for Food Packaging must physically change into their work clothes in changing room prior to accessing the shop floor.

Hi Robert

We did a risk assessment on our site where we make and bottle alcoholic drinks and we allow our staff to wear clothes home but in the bottling room they do wear a hairnet and disposable jacket. We are BRC grade A and it was acceptable when audited as we are so low risk.

Cheers

DW

daveh11

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

We are a paper manufacturer, with product used within the Food Packaging sector. We have taken the view that whilst the risk of contaminant transfer from clothing is low, risk is still present, so we have taken the view that Workwear must not be worn off site, so personnel change at the start and end of a shift.

Workwear is however laundered at home, using provided washing instructions, and we then conduct random verification as to the effectiveness in the form of swab tests.

We are not currently accredited to ISO22000, but have a stage 1 audit scheduled for October 2017, for which we believe the above will be acceptable.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

There are a minor number of cases where I'd say this is ok.  Mostly very low risk operations like warehousing or where products are completely enclosed.

Things I'd do to ensure the risk is as low as possible would include giving advice around washing clothes (e.g. at high temperature or using disinfectant additives in the wash), doing clothing swabs etc.  I'm not sure if you're BRC accredited but you would need to prove in some way the "wash at home" was effective unless there was zero risk as there would be in a despatch / warehouse.

From your post it indicates you're dealing with food contact packaging, is that right?  If so I'd expect a change at work into some kind of coat which covers from neck to knee and hear covering.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users