• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

We are shrimp processing plant , Raw frozen product  & our packaging material involves , LDPE plastics , cardboard inner boxes & kraft paper outer boxes.

Now these inner boxes are flat cut sheets that are made into boxes by our packaging team. 

We are increasing our production and it's getting difficult to make these boxes in the packing room. Not enough space.

We have a spare room outside of production controlled area.

We are planning to shift the inner boxes making to this room . The flow of the inner boxes will be as follows:

• Box making in enclosed area room. No Air Conditioning but due focus on sanitation processes and pest control.
  • Movement in enclosed boxes , through Open Area.
  • Movement in enclosed boxes through production Enclosed area.
  • Opening of enclosed boxes in production packing area - BRC low risk area.

Could someone pl share their thoughts if there would be a potential hazard in following this process. 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

A bit difficult to follow but I think from what you're saying you're talking about taking boxes through where you have open products?  If all your product is raw, the risks are reduced but I would still think it's better to not take board through your production area with open product although you've not explained what "closed boxes" they're transported in.

I always think when someone comes up with a solution to a problem, it is not the only solution.  I would encourage you to find at least three.  Once you have three solutions it's actually a bit easier to chose.  Your problem is around efficiency not around taking boxes through your production area.  If anything the solution sounds like it is rather inefficient.  I'd urge you to look at why the box erection isn't keeping up.  There are lots of alternatives, e.g. automation, changing the box design.  It might be the solution you've identified is the right one but it is worth a serious think.

ABBIGAIL BEDASSIE NABBIE

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:45 PM

hello,

The room you are proposing to move to has no air conditioning. While focus is placed on sanitation & pest control,

consider the generation of heat from the workers in the room. Warmth equals growth of microbiological organisms.

Cross contamination can also take place if workers do not practice good hygiene and GMP's and this might become

difficult if it gets too warm.

It is important to ensure good ventilation/temperature control.

If the inner boxes are being transported to the production area in enclosed boxes...I dont see an issue 

However care must be taken to ensure that contaminants(physical,microbiological & chemical) are not transferred to the production area

by the surfaces of  the enclosed boxes themselves and the vehicle being used to do the transportation.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users