• 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hi,

I was hoping to get some answers on the below:

This is  from clause 4.10.4.1 of BRC, "The type, location and strength of magnets shall be fully documented. Documented procedures shall be in place for the inspection, cleaning, strength testing and integrity checks. Records of all checks shall be maintained".

Type - so, all we need to write is either its a electromagnet or a permanent magnet.

Strength - Do we need to document the strength of the magnet when it was new? or does the external company calibration / pull test report of the magnets strength suffice?

What do they mean by integrity checks?

Will look forward to all your responses.

Thank you,

RTP

Sam30

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

HI,

its important to document the initial strength of magnet in order to understand the loss if any, pull test can be a verification step to help determine if (or when) a magnet needs replacing. Magnets with visible cracks or wear holes should be removed from operation immediately, regardless of test results. Magnets showing erosion in holding force over a defined period should also be replaced e.g. 10-15 % loss in strength over a year 

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

Basically they just want to see that you haven't followed the old 'set and forget'!

Your magnets are probably documented in your HACCP yes?

If so then you should probably have some idea of their capability (strength, type etc.....what can they pick up (type and size limitations) and what cant they etc.

Integrity check could be as simple as a visual examination of condition and then a 'pass through' test of a known type and size to ensure capability still intact.

Theoretically a magnet should basically never lose its magnetism - unless through extreme heat or a demagnetising magnetic force.....both things which you shouldn't really have to contend with (but helpful to show risk assessed in HACCP??). Real risk is damage in a manufacturing environment (refer back to integrity check). 

Hope this helps.....

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

Hazem Alshobaki

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Jordan
    Jordan

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:35 AM

Hey,

Magntic should be in HACCP plan ,

And should have SOP and Records for monitoring the strength and sensitivity of Magntic , about how you check the magntic integrity you can contact with the manufacture of the device and request from them yearly calibration and how you can testing the Magnetic in house

As example : In our plant ( Bakery Plant ) we certifed for BRC 7 and have Magntic seprator for the Flour , we have yearly calibration by external calibration company , and daily in house checking for Magnetic seprator to check the strength and clean it

Hope i help u in thats

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

Hi,

This is  from clause 4.10.4.1 of BRC, "The type, location and strength of magnets shall be fully documented. Documented procedures shall be in place for the inspection, cleaning, strength testing and integrity checks. Records of all checks shall be maintained".

Type - so, all we need to write is either its a electromagnet or a permanent magnet.

Strength - Do we need to document the strength of the magnet when it was new? or does the external company calibration / pull test report of the magnets strength suffice?

Thank you,

RTP

Hi RTP,

I think Posts 3,4 have covered most of yr queries.

"integrity" has an encyclopedia of meanings varying with the situation. I suggest in this case it means "in a condition of (visually) good physical repair". For comparison, the classic case of a sieve CCP failing a critical limit of "integrity" is where the structure is damaged, eg there is a large hole in it.

Can also see this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...libration-test/

And this specific BRC-related extract -

Attached File  brc - magnets.pdf   976.92KB   440 downloads

PS - @Hazem - Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Offhand, I think you may be the first poster from Jordan :thumbup:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi,

Thank you,

RTP

Integrity could mean looking for damage but also if / when I audit a site with a magnet, I always look that they are checking and cleaning the magnet during the shift.  I often say this but magnets are notorious for causing issues.  If they build up with magnetic debris to a sufficient level, it can result in this debris falling off in clumps so you need a sufficient inspection regime but also you need to investigate findings, react if the quantity of finds increases etc.

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Integrity could mean looking for damage but also if / when I audit a site with a magnet, I always look that they are checking and cleaning the magnet during the shift.  I often say this but magnets are notorious for causing issues.  If they build up with magnetic debris to a sufficient level, it can result in this debris falling off in clumps so you need a sufficient inspection regime but also you need to investigate findings, react if the quantity of finds increases etc.

Hi GMO,

"Integrity" is another one of those beautifully subjective terms. I noticed another text using the term "functional integrity" (FI).

Google gives "the state of being whole and undivided".

I interpreted the wording of the BRC clause as intending cleanliness should be separated from integrity  but I do agree with you that the former could potentially relate to FI.

Interesting to know what the BRC I.Guidelines have to say (if anything).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hi GMO,

"Integrity" is another one of those beautifully subjective terms. I noticed another text using the term "functional integrity" (FI).

Google gives "the state of being whole and undivided".

I interpreted the wording of the BRC clause as intending cleanliness should be separated from integrity  but I do agree with you that the former could potentially relate to FI.

Interesting to know what the BRC I.Guidelines have to say (if anything).

Your wish is my command!  Not sure it totally clears it all up but sounds like we are on the right track.

4.10.4 MAGNETS
The type, location and strength of magnets shall be fully documented. Documented procedures shall be in place for the inspection, cleaning, strength testing and integrity checks. Records of all checks shall be maintained.
Interpretation Magnets
Some sectors of the food industry (e.g. grinding of cereals, coffee etc.) employ magnets to reduce or remove metal fragments. Where these are used, it is important to document the type (e.g. electromagnet or permanent magnet), location and strength of the magnet.
Magnets are not an alternative to metal detectors but an additional control mechanism, and factories using magnets must still comply with the requirements of clause 4.10.3.
The magnet’s strength should be designed to ensure that it is sufficient to capture metal foreign bodies. A number of factors should be considered when determining the correct strength – for example, the type of product (e.g. the size of the food particles), the width of the conveyor belt, chute or other equipment in which the magnets are located, and the flow rate of the food or raw material.
Documented procedures must be in place to ensure:
routine inspection – for example, visual inspection for damage and the presence of captured metal fragments
cleaning – the ability of a magnet to capture a foreign body can be hampered if dirt or other material is allowed to collect on the magnet’s surface
strength testing – for example, by using a magnetic meter (measuring the magnet’s strength in tesla) or through the use of a third-party calibration service.
Records of all checks, recalibrations or servicing must be maintained.
Good practice to monitor a magnet’s performance includes locating a second ‘policing’ magnet as close to the first as possible. Any metal found on this second magnet indicates that the ‘process’ magnet is not performing satisfactorily and is failing to remove all metal particles.

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Hi GMO,

Thks ! An interesting potpourri.

I only see one, reiterative, appearance of "integrity" at the beginning. Needless to say without any semantic comments.

Frankly I reckon BRC tossed it in because it rounded off their list nicely.

I note that Post 3 has another feature which might be arguably included in my "FI" interpretation although it's more like a haccp validation/verification IMO.

Regardless, 2-3 offerings should be enough for any auditor IMO. If not, I would be asking for their definition and validation.!

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
RTP

RTP

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your answers, inputs.

I got all my doubts cleared.

Thank you again!

RTP

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Frankly I reckon BRC tossed it in because it rounded off their list nicely.

:spoton:

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users