• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:37 AM

Morning all,

Kindly someone could help to provide microbe and chemical specification for food and reference of spec as well (Finsih product)? Basically we are dealing with fresh cut vegetables. The process involved such as cutting, shredding, washing & disinfection, spinning & drying, and vacuum packed and we are ISO 22000 certified company. Which spec we should refer to? Please advice  

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Morning all,

Kindly someone could help to provide microbe and chemical specification for food and reference of spec as well (Finsih product)? Basically we are dealing with fresh cut vegetables. The process involved such as cutting, shredding, washing & disinfection, spinning & drying, and vacuum packed and we are ISO 22000 certified company. Which spec we should refer to? Please advice  

Hi sivananthan,

I assume RTE.

I assume chilled storage.

Local Distribution ?

What is the declared shelf-life ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi QATX,

Thks for the links.

The overall micro. impression, i think, is that no "official" specifications exist plus industry also has major reservations regarding "Standards". Other than the usual zero tolerants.

Here is a relatively ageing document but, afaik, it does not cover vacuum packing. This can be a different ball game.

Attached File  fresh produce - microbiological quality.doc   284.5KB   124 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

QATX12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hi QATX,

Thks for the links.

The overall micro. impression, i think, is that no "official" specifications exist plus industry also has major reservations regarding "Stadards". Other than the usual zero tolerants.

Here is a relatively ageing document but, afaik, it does not cover vacuum packing. This can be a different ball game.

attachicon.giffresh produce - microbiological quality.doc

Hi Charles,

The FDA.gov link briefly covers the Modified Atmosphere Packaging and microorganisms of concern. Further analysis would have to be conducted by the manufacturer of course. One must also consider that the customer may require more stringent microbial limits.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hi Charles,

The FDA.gov link briefly covers the Modified Atmosphere Packaging and microorganisms of concern. Further analysis would have to be conducted by the manufacturer of course. One must also consider that the customer may require more stringent microbial limits.

Hi QATX,

This is what was concerning me but fresh produce is not my immediate area of familiarity -

Attached File  vacpack.pdf   63.27KB   81 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

sivananthan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

Hi Charles,

Yes RTE Mix salads and coleslaw. The shelf life for most our product is 0 (production date) + 5days. We are supplying restaurant around malaysia, Singapore, Thailand etc. Our CCPs are raw material chill storage, disinfection, finish storage and distribution. Temperature control 2 to 5 Celsius 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hi Charles,

Yes RTE Mix salads and coleslaw. The shelf life for most our product is 0 (production date) + 5days. We are supplying restaurant around malaysia, Singapore, Thailand etc. Our CCPs are raw material chill storage, disinfection, finish storage and distribution. Temperature control 2 to 5 Celsius 

Hi sivananthan,

Thks for yr info.

My Australian attachment in Post 4, I think, mainly used data based on UK published documents.

I have for convenience extracted the relevant UK Micro.Tables from, afaik, the 2 most recent publications (PHLS-2000, HPA-2009) and compiled together into one Excel sheet since i found it rather laborious to scan through some of the actual documents.

Attached File  Guidelines Microbiological Quality-Safety RTE Foods, 1.1 .xls   2.15MB   68 downloads

I included the 2000 document since a large amount is similar/identical to 2009 version (but NOT all) BUT the format is IMO initially far easier to browse through. However the 2009 table considerably expands on the info. regarding product categories (see Table5 in Excel)  and interpretations of the tabled data so MUST be cross-checked for current viewpoint/any numerical changes.

For example, coleslaw is listed in both versions (categories 3/7 respectively) and you can see that the opinion regarding APC has changed (less strict) by a factor of 10. Of course yr local Regulations will override this compiled data if different.

I have enclosed the source documents for the Excel compiled data below for convenience plus they contain additional interpretive material which may be of interest. Plus the excel cannot be searched (picture) but the source documents can.

Hopefully of some Generic usefulness. :smile:

Attached File  PHLS - Guidelines for the Microbiological Quality RTE Foods,2000.pdf   138.57KB   40 downloads

Attached File  HPA, Guidelines to assess Microbiological Safety RTE Foods,2009.pdf   998.98KB   45 downloads

PS - if any transfer errors are noted, please inform.

PPS - I also noticed this fairly recent (2015) Irish microbiological survey of the Fresh Produce Industry attached below. Data is mainly evaluated against EC Standards.

Attached File  Micro. Survey (Ireland) of RTE, pre-cut, Fresh Herbs and Salad Leaves,2015.pdf   812.63KB   53 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

sivananthan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

Dear All,

As per information gathered i have done product description for fresh cut vegetables. Kindly please advice if any other additional information needed for the product description. thanks in advance

Thanks

Siva

Attached Files

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Dear All,

As per information gathered i have done product description for fresh cut vegetables. Kindly please advice if any other additional information needed for the product description. thanks in advance

Thanks

Siva

Hi Siva,

I assume this material is not blanched prior to packing.

A couple of comments.

It makes a difference whether the specification is intended to be contractually binding or is just a "flyer". I have assumed the latter, if otherwise usually need to include additional items, eg number of samples for micro., tolerances, etc. This is discussed briefly in last attachment of post 3.

IMO yr micro.spec. is incomplete, eg Salmonella, L.monocytogenes, S.aureus. The micro. format is up to you but any quantitative claims should be capable of validation. IMEX the 3 entries are numerically rather ambitious for a raw vegetable.

For "Physical" it is usual to reference the appearance, texture, colour, odour of the material, as being, for example, "typical of the species".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users