Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

As a business we are looking to achieve ISO22000, and am looking to understand what the Accreditation process steps are, and what the criteria is to achieve a “Pass” at each stage.

I understand this is a 2 stage process,

Stage 1 Initial Audit assessing the suitability of the documented management system

Stage 2 Surveillance Audit.

But what I’m trying to establish is what the "Pass" criteria is for each stage, as we have a business objective to achieve accreditation by end of 2017, and am trying to understand what period of time i need to allow between the 2 audits to allow accreditation.

• Can any Non-compliances be raised at each stage and still pass?
  • Do any raised Non-compliances need to be verified as effective to achieve a pass - or is submission of a Corrective action plan only required to achieve accreditation. With the subsequent surveillance audits verifying the effectiveness of the action plan.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

David

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

Dear Daveh11,

Initial certification audit consist of a stage 1 audit and a stage 2 audit.

Stage 1 audit is documentation review. During this audit goals is to see if the company is ready for stage 2 audit. All documents are inspected and compared with the standard. All required documentation like procedures, HACCP study, verification and validation should be available. Also Management Review and internal audit processing is verified.

During stage 1 audit critical audit observations and non-critical audit observations can be observed.

If critical audit observations are not sufficiently addressed these will lead to major non-conformities or critical non-conformities during stage 2 audit.

If non-critical audit observation is not sufficiently addressed this will lead to minor non-conformity during stage 2 audit.

Certification Body will advice to postpone stage 2 audit if there are many observations or observations are substantial.
Normally the Certification Body plans 2 weeks between stage 1 and stage 2 audits. Incidentally stage 1 and stage 2 audits are planned
consecutively. Make sure the planning between stage 1 and stage 2 audit allows you to have enough time to solve the observations found.

Stage 2 audit is the practice audit. During this audits production and all relevant department (sourcing, management, logistics, maintenance and repair, product development, cleaning and sanitation, QA, QC, laboratory, HRM, etc.)  are audited. It is checked that processes do not include product contamination risks, that the required procedures are implemented correctly, that you can perform traceability, etc. To be short: that your food safety management system is implemented correctly.

During this audit you can achieve;

major non-conformities, minor non-conformities and critical non-conformities.

1) - critical non-conformity there is a critical failure to comply with a food safety or legal issue, resulting in evidently unsafe or illegal practices.

2) - major non-conformity: nonconformities that arise from the failure to fulfill one or more requirements of the management system standard or a situation that raises significant doubt about the ability of the clients management system to achieve it’s intended output.

3) - minor non-conformity: shall be raised when the requirements are not fully met with respect to the standard or a procedure required as part of the client's management system, on the basis of objective evidence, the conformity of product is not in doubt

If major or critical non-conformity is raised during initial audit (stage 1 + stage 2 audit) certification shall not be granted until evidence of corrective action taken has been verified as effective. This is doen by follow up audit. Depending on the non conformity this can be on or off site.

For a minor non-conformity a corrective action plan shall be submitted and approved by the auditor.

For critical non-conformity, major non-conformity and if there are many minor non conformity a follow up audit will be planned to close the non-conformities.

If evidence is sufficient and the non-conformities can be closed, the certification is granted.

So if you have only a few minors you need to send an action plan and if this is approved by the auditor, you will gain your certificate. The certificate is valid for 3 years.

There is an annually surveillance audit in year 2 and 3. After 3 years a recertification audit will be conducted.

Take in to considering that your system must be implemented for at least 3 months before you have your stage 1 audit. Also before you perform your management review, you must already have some data. You can not review a system that is not yet implemented.

If you need more detailed information regarding certification process, contact your certification body. They will be happy to explain to you the certification process.

Good luck with implementation and certification of your system.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:23 AM

Hi Madam A.D-tor,

Thanks for yr detailed answer to OP.

Out of curiosity I have a small follow-up query - is the above Procedure identical to that employed for fssc22000 ?.

The reason i ask is that I (briefly) attempted to find an answer to the OP's query  on the IT and failed. In contrast fssc22000 do directly provide extensive details of their audit requirements  and, IIRC, their document  looked quite similar to that described in yr Post. I speculate that one reason may be that ISO are perhaps not responsible for audits / audit criteria of their own standards?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

Sorry Charles, you are using too many unknown abbreviations in your post.

OP = post?

IT = internet

IIRC: ??

I am not a FSSC auditor myself.

At the CB I am working, for ISO 22000 and ISO FSSC 22000 the definitions and handling of non-conformities and the methods for initial audits are the same and are similar to ISO 9001 and other ISO based standards.

I suppose this comes from ISO 17021 standard.

Probably you know that also certification of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 are according documented procedure. The definitions of the non conformities may be different. 

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Sorry Charles, you are using too many unknown abbreviations in your post.

OP = post?

IT = internet

IIRC: ??

I am not a FSSC auditor myself.

At the CB I am working, for ISO 22000 and ISO FSSC 22000 the definitions and handling of non-conformities and the methods for initial audits are the same and are similar to ISO 9001 and other ISO based standards.

I suppose this comes from ISO 17021 standard.

Probably you now that also certification of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 are according documented procedure. The definitions of the non conformities may be different. 

Hi Madam A.D-tor,

Thanks.

OP = Original Post/'Poster

IIRC - If I recall correctly

http://www.ifsqn.com...ons/#entry24154

I admit to never having seen ISO17021 Standard (or knew of it :smile:). From a quick scan, the procedure you have described looks to be "based on" the Standard but with some differences and its own quantitative interpretations (iso standard generic limitations). For example the 17021 Standard seeems to have  only major/minor nonconformities, ie no "critical", although it  includes a sort of related "safety" caveat. The Standard also appears prodigiously long.

The subsequent handling of nonconformances, for example, critical,  appears to maybe somewhat vary between (GFSI?)Standard/CB.

I just noticed this attached (commercial) certification audit program for iso22000 which looks similar yr general description..

Attached File  ISO-22000-Registration-Guidance.pdf   236.38KB   29 downloads

PS - @daveh - the answers to yr 2 specific queries seem to be Yes/It depends

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

daveh11

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

Dear Madam A. D- many thanks indeed for your detailed reply - it is most informative and will proove most useful indeed.

Kind Regards

David

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

Hi David,

Just as a small caveat, I would have thought UK customers will likely require a GFSI recognised Standard which ISO22000 isn't.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

daveh11

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

HI Charles

To be honest i would need guidance on this, but we are food packaging suppliers (Paper), rather than food producers or processors - if that make a difference?
Regards

David

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users