• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Good day  :happydance:

This is my first time posting, thanks to all the members for sharing your ideas and helpful documents, however I'm struggling to find information on Incoming Raw material testing methods. 

Recently we had an audit, and my auditor indicated that we need to test every single raw material that enters our factory for functionality and organoleptic testing to ensure that the raw materials actually meet the spec and we not just relying on the COA for acceptability.

I have been searching the net for days now, I have even started asking my Suppliers for help .....but have not found what I'm searching for, so I'm here now  :helpplease:

Where can I find a standard or a legislation or codex documents that can provide me with organoleptic testing for Soya  Mince, Maize Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Herbs , Spices, Colourants, Gelatine, Flavourants.

Currently the method I use for gelatin testing is, 6.67% solution made up with hot water to determine the aroma and stability, for herbs and spices I use 1g in 100ml hot water and then taste, smell and look at the sample, however I need to find proper references or documents that indicate whats the correct way of doing Organoleptic tests on these different kind of Raw materials or if members can assist me with their current testings methods or references

Thanks in advance

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi twinkle,

Pls inform what standard is being audited.

If this is for Food Safety, you might consider informing yr auditor that organoleptic characteristics are typically unrelated to FS !!!

I have no idea what "functionality" means ??

Do you utilize "Approved Suppliers" ?

Regardless, IMEX, prior to receiving raw materials, most FS Standards require yr possessing a mutually agreed specification with the supplier as part of the supplier approval process. The specification typically covers BCPA aspects (safety/non-safety) and should define what needs to be tested, and sometimes by what procedure..

Just as one example, if you buy salt (I assume as a food ingredient) you should have an agreed specification to validate its being food grade. The relevant requirements are probably available from Food Chemicals Codex,  should also be (readily) available from a reputable supplier and, hopefully, are complied with by the items in yr COA.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hi the Organoleptic specs will be on the raw ingredient specifications.

It should give you the colour, the taste, size, smell, and texture. then I would just note it on a spread sheet.

there will be no legislation or codex documents that can provide me with organoleptic testing for Soya  Mince, Maize Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Herbs , Spices, Colourants, Gelatine, Flavourings. because each suppler / company will have there own standards.

I hope this of help.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Hi the Organoleptic specs will be on the raw ingredient specifications.

It should give you the colour, the taste, size, smell, and texture. then I would just note it on a spread sheet.

there will be no legislation or codex documents that can provide me with organoleptic testing for Soya  Mince, Maize Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Herbs , Spices, Colourants, Gelatine, Flavourings. because each suppler / company will have there own standards.

I hope this of help.

Hi gazza,

try googling "codex specification salt"

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hello twinkle,

You can have the specification of your supplier if you don't have one for organoleptic testing. Make a parallel testing during receiving of raw materials, until when you have your own specific requirements of raw materials.

regards,

rf

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Where can I find a standard or a legislation or codex documents that can provide me with organoleptic testing for Soya  Mince, Maize Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Herbs , Spices, Colourants, Gelatine, Flavourants.

Thanks in advance

Hi twinkle,

Commercial publications are usable for Specifications where "Official" documents are not readily available. But they need to be "meaningful" which means they have to be scrutinized for realistic content which may sometimes involve further investigation/comparison. I have not scrutinized the documents below and they will undoubtedly vary in usefulness for yr specific application(s).

1. Soya  Mince - attached

2. Maize Flour - attached

3. Salt - attached

4. Maltodextrin - attached

5. Gelatine - attached

6. Herbs , Spices - ASTA - attached

7. Colourants – EC No. ?

8. Flavourants – EC No?

1-5 are specific and can be searched for. I have attached examples below direct from Google.

6 - 8 are categories which can be generalised. For 6 - I have attached "ASTA" below. For 7-8, Lists of EC Nos of Approved Food Items are I think available, possibly on IT.

I suggest you compare the contents with yr submitted COAs.

Attached File  s1a-Soya Mince (1).pdf   1.36MB   94 downloads

Attached File  s1b - Soya Protein.pdf   21.09KB   45 downloads

Attached File  s1c- soya mince (2).pdf   106.42KB   33 downloads

Attached File  s2 - Maize-Flour.pdf   486.75KB   60 downloads

Attached File  s3a - salt (2).pdf   648.98KB   111 downloads

Attached File  s3b - salt (1).pdf   300.15KB   98 downloads

Attached File  s4a - Maltodextrin (1).pdf   29.15KB   54 downloads

Attached File  s4b - Maltodextrin (2).pdf   342.86KB   43 downloads

Attached File  s5a - Gelatin (1).pdf   1.1MB   41 downloads

Attached File  s5b - gelatine (2).pdf   1.21MB   37 downloads

Attached File  s5c - Gelatine (3).pdf   679.55KB   39 downloads

Attached File  s6 - ASTA.pdf   498.56KB   79 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Twinkle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hi twinkle,

Pls inform what standard is being audited.

If this is for Food Safety, you might consider informing yr auditor that organoleptic characteristics are typically unrelated to FS !!!

I have no idea what "functionality" means ??

Do you utilize "Approved Suppliers" ?

Regardless, IMEX, prior to receiving raw materials, most FS Standards require yr possessing a mutually agreed specification with the supplier as part of the supplier approval process. The specification typically covers BCPA aspects (safety/non-safety) and should define what needs to be tested, and sometimes by what procedure..

Just as one example, if you buy salt (I assume as a food ingredient) you should have an agreed specification to validate its being food grade. The relevant requirements are probably available from Food Chemicals Codex,  should also be (readily) available from a reputable supplier and, hopefully, are complied with by the items in yr COA.

Hi Charles 

thank you so much for your input

We had a retailer audit, and one of the NCRs raised was that we do not do proper checks of raw materials on receiving 

I currently have an approved supplier list as well as Supplier Questionnaires completed for all my raw materials

On receiving , samples are drawn, all raw materials are accompanied with a COA, Gelatine is a functional ingredient- meaning that we need to check its stability at receiving to determine that our jellies will set., so for this check i do a 6.67% solution made up with hot water to determine the aroma and stability, and I test herbs and spices using 1g in 100ml hot water, colourants i use 0.1g in 100ml of water for testing purposes

​According to my auditor, i need to provide Legislative evidence as to how i have come up with these procedures to test my raw materials, 

I have now included in my supplier questionnaire a section where the Supplier needs to indicate their organoleptic testing method as well as a reference to assist me in providing this information to our auditor.  

Twinkle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Hi twinkie,

Commercial publications are usable for Specifications where "Official" documents are not readily available. But they need to be "meaningful" which means they have to be scrutinized for realistic content which may sometimes involve further investigation/comparison. I have not scrutinized the documents below and they will undoubtedly vary in usefulness for yr specific application(s).

1. Soya  Mince - attached

2. Maize Flour - attached

3. Salt - attached

4. Maltodextrin - attached

5. Gelatine - attached

6. Herbs , Spices - ASTA - attached

7. Colourants – EC No. ?

8. Flavourants – EC No?

1-5 are specific and can be searched for. I have attached examples below direct from Google.

6 - 8 are categories which can be generalised. For 6 - I have attached "ASTA" below. For 7-8, Lists of EC Nos of Approved Food Items are I think available, possibly on IT.

I suggest you compare the contents with yr submitted COAs.

attachicon.gifs1a-Soya Mince (1).pdf

attachicon.gifs1b - Soya Protein.pdf

attachicon.gifs1c- soya mince (2).pdf

attachicon.gifs2 - Maize-Flour.pdf

attachicon.gifs3a - salt (2).pdf

attachicon.gifs3b - salt (1).pdf

attachicon.gifs4a - Maltodextrin (1).pdf

attachicon.gifs4b - Maltodextrin (2).pdf

attachicon.gifs5a - Gelatin (1).pdf

attachicon.gifs5b - gelatine (2).pdf

attachicon.gifs5c - Gelatine (3).pdf

attachicon.gifs6 - ASTA.pdf

Thank you so much for these documents

I will go through them and start drawing up my spreadsheet, we currently have over 400 raw materials, once i have completed this spreadsheet, I will gladly upload to this site to assist others as well. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

aliar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:04 PM

Hi Twinkie,

I know this was a few years ago that you posted, but I'm curious to see if you have done your spreadsheet and what it looks like. I'm starting one myself for the company for which I work and am also at a bit of a loss as to how to start one. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 November 2021 - 05:44 PM

Hi Twinkie,

I know this was a few years ago that you posted, but I'm curious to see if you have done your spreadsheet and what it looks like. I'm starting one myself for the company for which I work and am also at a bit of a loss as to how to start one. 

Hi aliar,

From memory there are one or two excels posted here but they tend to be rather encyclopedical lines of columns for A,B, C,D etc. More like a database. :smile:

Hopefully Twinkle will see yr request.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Twinkle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:25 AM

Hi 
Apologies for the late response, prepping for unannounced audit.

So basically what i did was group my raw materials, for example:

Fats & Oils
Stabilizers, Vitamin, Minerals, Anti - Caking Agents & Acidity Regulators
Sugars & Starches
Herbs & Spices
Milk Powders
Legumes, Cereals, Flours, Grains & Concentrates
Flavours
Colourants

I then used the supplier specs to create testing methods and had what the results are supposed to be
Below is an example for oil

Category

Raw materials

Testing method

Specification Results

Fats & Oils

VEGETABLE OIL

Physical analysis- check for any foreign particles in oil

Check for off odors

Golden yellow liquid with no off odours or floating particles

Hope this helps

Thanks

Edited by Twinkle, 18 November 2021 - 06:34 AM.

Twinkle

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 18 November 2021 - 06:37 AM

Hi, Is see it didnt get posted the way I intended

Please see attachment

Attached Files

• Attached File  oil.png   10.27KB   0 downloads

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organoleptic, raw materials, testing methods, functional raw materials, quality control, techniques

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users