• Quick Navigation
Photo

What to do about missing complaint files?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
* * * * - 1 votes

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

Dear all, 

I have started working to packaging manufacturer for 2 10 days now . 

I am going through the files and I noticed that the previous QA did not have file for complains 2016 and 2017, probably had made files to his PC and left without made hard copy because the company accredited with BRC

However, I found 5 companies left over to his office which I am trying to file them for 2017. 

However, I do not known what to do for the 2016 complain file ? any suggestions ,please ?

Thanks in advance 

T

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Are there records of the management review meetings or the annual review by senior management for 2016?  This should've included customer complaints to meet the BRC standard.  Maybe check there?  

Thanked by 1 Member:

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Thank you Peaches for your answer. 

the whole annual  management  review was in digital form  and previous QA person who left the company ;(

is it a problem not to have the complain file of 2016 ?

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:43 AM

An internal audit on this section along with corrective and preventive actions could help with the missing files during an audit. It sounds like making sure files are backed up on a shared drive will be part of the corrective actions that need to take place and not just in the customer complaint section!  

Thanked by 1 Member:

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

thanks a lot for the advice.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

Keep a corrective action record for the failure to document complaints in 2016, root cause: old QA manager left abruptly. Start fresh with a system that works for you and be open about it during the audit.

You can have gaps in the past as long as they were corrected and root cause was documented. Happens all the time when QA people come and go.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Dear Smart 17,

Also consider other missing documents: Management review, supplier evaluation, internal audits, HACCP verification.

As FurFarmandFork said, document the whole case as a non conformity.

If I was you auditor I should however raise a non-conformity for documentation/record control. Surely the company did not take precautions for records/documents to "disappear".

BRC 3.3.1: Records shall be legible, maintained in good condition and retrievable. Any alterations to records shall be authorised and justification for alteration shall be recorded. Where records are in electronic form these shall be suitably backed up to prevent loss.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Thanked by 1 Member:

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

Keep a corrective action record for the failure to document complaints in 2016, root cause: old QA manager left abruptly. Start fresh with a system that works for you and be open about it during the audit.

You can have gaps in the past as long as they were corrected and root cause was documented. Happens all the time when QA people come and go.

Thank you for your answer FurFarmandFork . 

I would like to ask you if you have any links about the root cause that  I should get advised.?

thanks a lot  

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Dear Smart 17,

Also consider other missing documents: Management review, supplier evaluation, internal audits, HACCP verification.

As FurFarmandFork said, document the whole case as a non conformity.

If I was you auditor I should however raise a non-conformity for documentation/record control. Surely the company did not take precautions for records/documents to "disappear".

BRC 3.3.1: Records shall be legible, maintained in good condition and retrievable. Any alterations to records shall be authorised and justification for alteration shall be recorded. Where records are in electronic form these shall be suitably backed up to prevent loss.

Thank Madam A. D-tor  for your answer and support . I will have a look , I known already that the internal audits missing . Previous QA manager had in its PC .

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Thank Madam A. D-tor  for your answer and support . I will have a look , I known already that the internal audits missing . Previous QA manager had in its PC .

What actions did your organization implement, to prevent you are also putting anything on your computer and take it with you when you leave?

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

What actions did your organization implement, to prevent you are also putting anything on your computer and take it with you when you leave?

they bought a desktop which bellows to the company now. the previous was private contractor!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users