• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi

Does anyone have any experience using UV light filters to remove bacteria in recirculated tank water?   I am considering using a filter to remove particulate and the UV light to help with bacteria. The water would be cold (ideally <45F- ice is added- it would be municipal water) and would have some particulates over time. We are considering a new system that would recirculate water

Or any general ideas on how to maintain potability in a recirculated water tank. I have also considered a 0.2 micron screen, but this may not be ideal as I think it will clog up all the time. We are trying to avoid chemicals as much as possible. Our product is not RTE, but we obviously need to be concerned about bacteria over time.

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

From my experience, yes it would be worth it to install a UV light or at least explore that possibility further.  We began using a UV light on our water chiller when the filter alone was not enough.  The municipal water supply passed the potability tests but we were having an issue getting the same results through our water chiller. Once we installed the UV light, we were able to consistently pass our potability tests. 

qualityfishgirl11

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Were you using a micron filter to reduce bacteria too or a larger size filter?  Have you found any risks with using the UV light? I am just learning about the system but it seems like a UV light filter is contained in a tube and could not contaminate the water with any foreign material (ie-if the bulb breaks -if that is how it works I assume?).  Any issues with using it with the cold water?

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

We were using a micron filter to reduce bacteria in addition to the UV light.  We added the UV light to the monthly PM program and changed the bulb out every 6 months. The bulb is enclosed and did not pose a foreign material risk.   We did not have any issues using with cold water.   

qualityfishgirl11

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

thank you,  I will definitely be considering it :)

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:59 AM

We have worked in the past with a clam and oyster harvester and packer that used recirculating tanks with UV system.

The water was pumped in from the Chesapeake River and would match the the temperature that the clams and oysters were harvested and then of course the water flowed back out to the river by permit of course.

The inflow lines had much higher than 0.2 filters on them and a self washing system was in place at intake with the filters being replaced monthly.

There was a series of filters in line on the intake that gradulated down to 0.3.

The UV system is unbreakable thus does not contribute or become an issue.

It was one of the most impressive recirculating systems we've ever seen and helped the company greatly in ensuring no sand/particles were present in the clams and oysters they delivered.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

In this application a UV light can be quite effective.  However, it needs to be designed correctly for the system.  Just throwing a UV light system in without designing it correctly does little.  I suggest you work with a UV light manufacturer that specifically deals with water microbiology.  They can design a system that is right for you.

angegenet

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

We use UV treatment for our potable water supply, the water comes from the well, through 3 filters (these require maintenance to do a weekly clean of the filters) the water then goes through the UV water treatment plant before entering the manufacturing facility. The UV needs to be checked daily and have the bulbs changed regularly as well as O-rings etc, the water treatment plant is also alarmed (we hold spear parts in case of a break down, we also have a back up option in case the UV plant breaks down.  Its a good idea to have a back up water treatment option eg chlorine in case of a breakdown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users