Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

Presently we are looking to find a reputable, expert consultant to provide an consultation, analysis, gap assessment, and recommendation support for our Atlanta, GA food packaging manufacturing facility in the area of water microbiological testing and hazard analysis to improve our current SQF compliance. This is an urgent need and would like a consultant within the next two weeks if possible.-

Does anyone have recommendations as to a consulting firm, an individual, or place we should look for a consultant?

Please let me know-

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hello neighbor I'm located in Rome GA and we always use Chilton Consulting which is now part of Alchemy Systems.

email either jeff.chilton@alchemysystems.com or andy.chilton@alchemysystems.com

Alchemy is in Austin Texas but I believe Chilton Consulting may still have offices in Rocky Face near Dalton.

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

additionally, we use National Testing in Cleveland Ohio to test our water every year

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Get a hold of your state EPA and find out what accredited labs for municipal water testing are in your state. Reach out to those labs to see if they have consulting services. Will be a much faster turnaround that many of the national consultants.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

KristinePlmr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

I should have been a bit more specific- the testing and process analysis is for an internal process after the city water comes into our facility.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Contact your local MicroBac lab and request consulting on your specific need. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:31 AM

I should have been a bit more specific- the testing and process analysis is for an internal process after the city water comes into our facility.

Do you mean that you don't believe (some of) the official quality data for the input which I assume exists (IMEX it always exists but I'm not in USA) ?

(the typical standard is "Drinking" quality)

Or perhaps you worry that the indicated quality is (somehow)  inadequate for yr process ?

Answers to such queries may help to focus yr further consultancy etc needs.

Or do you want testing of something other than water ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KristinePlmr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

We are concerned that our individual process, quality measurement and frequency, as well as understanding of the SQF code is possibly not sufficient to ensure meeting requirements. We are looking for a consultant near Atlanta, GA to visit a facility and provide guidance, recommendations, and solutions to meet the requirements (which wee also need a better understanding of).

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,630 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

For SQF you just need to show that you test the water. Almost 100% of our clients simply have their water (if city water) tested independently once or twice a year.

Most do not rely on the city water reports as they are normally 6-12 months old.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

KristinePlmr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

So our concerns are that water is a part of our processing and we need to verify and show adequate cleaning methods affecting equipment that the water comes in contact with as well as when it hits our packaging product internally. - It is fine to test the city water coming into the plant; - we have that covered. But from point of facility entry by the city to coming in contact with product is the concerns.

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

So our concerns are that water is a part of our processing and we need to verify and show adequate cleaning methods affecting equipment that the water comes in contact with as well as when it hits our packaging product internally. - It is fine to test the city water coming into the plant; - we have that covered. But from point of facility entry by the city to coming in contact with product is the concerns.

Thanks

Hi Kristine,

In some respects, the answer is identical whether yr interest is internal or external.

The answer to "red" part is IMEX easy. Implement sampling/analysis of yr water at point of internal usage. This is a routine requirement in BRC Standard but SQF I'm unsure, i anticipate the same. Typical SOPs for sampling step are available and may also be detailed within the framework of the legal requirements discussed below.

The answer as to analysis for what depends on whether you are considering safety only or including non-safety factors (ie the current SQF Lvls 2/3)

I assume yr objective is safety only.

Then, afaik, the Global HACCP requirement is basically simple - process ingredients must be "Food-Grade".

For water, the legal interpretation of "food-grade" is typically that it must comply with the relevant Drinking Water Standard. (Legality is always the No.1 prioritised FS Standard criterion).

So you presumably require a Consultant who is aware of the relevant Local/Destination (assumed USA) US legal analytical requirements for classification as Drinking Water (I'm not aware if State requirements legally over-ride Federal for this case).(IIRC the published US Federal Requirement involves measurement of something like 10-15 items [as compared to the EC food import requirements of around 50!])

Hopefully all reputable US Consultants will be familiar/knowledgeable with the above.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water, microbiological testing, water requirements, consultant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users