Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

My company does mixing and blending of dry ingredients and raw materials such as preservatives, thickening agents, and sweeteners. We are preparing for BRC and I am having trouble finding what parameters/pathogens/microbes we should be swabbing and sampling for in our equipment and utensil sanitation procedure validation. I am not aware of any prescriptive standard for testing parameters, as I understand testing should be risk based for specific pathogens or parameters unique to the company's processes/products. The raw materials themselves that we mix are not prone to spontaneous growth of any pathogens, they are held at ambient temperature. I guess the only microbiological risks I can identify associated with the processing stage are those possibly introduced by personnel. I am getting an ATP meter in to help us with verification, and I understand I need to establish an RLU limit for what is clean or not clean. I intend to do this with the help of a third party lab but at this point am totally unclear what parameters / pathogens I need the lab to test for. 

I would appreciate if someone could elaborate on what pathogens/parameters I should be testing for when I validate equipment & utensil sanitation procedures. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hi jayh,

From a mainly micro.hygiene perspective see this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ontact-surfaces

In the context of zoning/pathogens maybe see posts 33 et seq, especially perhaps Post 37 in the same thread.

(There are other threads also on this topic, particularly since FS Standards /Regulatory may vary with product/process).

An ATP approach is also feasible for hygiene but will not generally relate to micro. indicators (or pathogens) unless there is some fortuitous correlation with, for example, APC.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users