• Quick Navigation
Photo

Rusty Knives in a salt water environment, any ideas?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Alex V.

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

Hello All,

Our company produces sausage casings preserved in either dry salt or a salt brine.  This salt water environment causes any metal tools/equipment we have to rust almost over night, including 304 stainless.  We've realized we have to buy 316 for our tables but you just cant find knives made of 316.  We tried plastic/ceramic knives but they broke too easily, and currently we're using titanium coated ones but they still corrode, albeit slower and they're expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions to combat the pervasive rust, or does anyone know of durable non-metal knives?

Thanks!

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Here is what a quick Google Search results in, seem sort of expensive but may be what you need.  

http://www.knifeart....balt-alloy.html

What is your current cleaning procedure?  Do you ever wash the knifes during shift? Maybe rotate sets out every break period?  Just thinking from my fishing experiences, I will fillet a fish on the water, clean my boning knife in the ocean, and pack it away until next time, never had rust be an issue.  I assume the brine is a higher concentration etc, but I am concerned with how fast you are saying they are turning. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Alex

Take a look at Mustad knives with teflon coating and also the there is a brand of knives produced in either Sweden or Norway intended for fishing process ships... you'll need to look up but they have orange handles.

Henkels also produces some fine knives intended for high salt content brine operations and salt water environmemts such as fish filleting operations.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

Hello All,

Our company produces sausage casings preserved in either dry salt or a salt brine.  This salt water environment causes any metal tools/equipment we have to rust almost over night, including 304 stainless.  We've realized we have to buy 316 for our tables but you just cant find knives made of 316.  We tried plastic/ceramic knives but they broke too easily, and currently we're using titanium coated ones but they still corrode, albeit slower and they're expensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions to combat the pervasive rust, or does anyone know of durable non-metal knives?

Thanks!

Hi Alex,

No sausage experience but if fish are a comparable environment, there are various reputable options. IM(own)EX Products in No.2 below have been impressive.

http://www.reliablek...filleting-fish/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

madzia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hi Alex,

Can you just avoid using knifes during the process? Do you do cleaning or selection? 

Alex V.

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone!

Current cleaning procedure is to clean them at the end of the day with dish soap and water.  They are currently being used for cutting string holding casings in a bunch, as well as teasing out knots in the casings.

We are closer to a selection operation than anything.  I've had the thought of eliminating the knives, but they're too uniquely useful.

I like the idea of the teflon coated bait knives, and they're pretty inexpensive.  We'll give those a try.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users