• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hi all

I am hoping some of you clever people might be able to help me. I want to attach a flavour to dried vegetables and I need them to last as long as possible (shelf life). How would you suggest I do this?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

Interesting.  You'd want something which doesn't increase water activity so you couldn't add anything water based.  Ideally you want something which would either make the dried ingredient dryer or reduce micro loading or both.  So smoking, spraying with an alcohol or oil based flavour maybe?  Or a wacky idea could be to "deliberately" taint them, e.g. by passing some kind of food safe essential oil aroma over the dried vegetables.  Or have you thought about infusing a flavour before drying?  

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

Shelf life on dried foods is mostly dependent on packaging (moisture and oxygen barriers).

If your end of life criteria is texture, then moisture barrier will help extend. If your end of life criteria is oxidation or off flavors, oxygen barriers and/or scavengers will help out.

If the coating you're applying is powder based, it should stay flavorful in good barrier packaging (see above), even moreso if it's oil based, then hydrogenated oils will help prevent racidity.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

african food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

Interesting.  You'd want something which doesn't increase water activity so you couldn't add anything water based.  Ideally you want something which would either make the dried ingredient dryer or reduce micro loading or both.  So smoking, spraying with an alcohol or oil based flavour maybe?  Or a wacky idea could be to "deliberately" taint them, e.g. by passing some kind of food safe essential oil aroma over the dried vegetables.  Or have you thought about infusing a flavour before drying?  

I'm thinking of an oil based flavour. But worried about rancidity....

african food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

If your end of life criteria is texture, then moisture barrier will help extend. If your end of life criteria is oxidation or off flavors, oxygen barriers and/or scavengers will help out.

If the coating you're applying is powder based, it should stay flavorful in good barrier packaging (see above), even moreso if it's oil based, then hydrogenated oils will help prevent racidity.

Thank you. Three questions - what is a scavenger? And what do you mean by hydrogenated oil - should my flavour be hydrogenated? And what is, in your opinion, a good barrier packaging?

african food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Also, what would a typical shelf life be for this type of product?

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Depends on the characteristics of your product and your criteria for shelf life. Sorry, there isn't a simple answer there. If you really want to see what's out there, buy some products off the shelf and see what they list as best by. My recommendation that no one ever likes, don't sell the product until you have actually run several production runs to the end of your labeled shelf life and evaluated a ton of product for problems.

Hydrogenated oils resist oxidation, but they aren't consumer friendly. Saturated fats are your friend if you can. High oleic oils are also better to resist rancidity.

As far as designing your packaging, talk to a supplier, the world of packaging is huge, they'll recommend something. You get what you pay for there.

Scavengers are things like oxygen and moisture absorber packets that are packaged with the food to help extend shelf life.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users