• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

I am working my way through the standards, however clause 5.1.4 under vehicle operating standards has me puzzled. 

The load carrying are should be inspected prior to loading to ensure that it is fit for purpose. This shall ensure that it is "free from excess humidity which may cause growth of moulds"

How do I inspect for excess humidity?

Thanks

Sandima

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

A good start would be to look for condensation on the truck ceiling or frost build up if the trailer is for frozen storage.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

A good start would be to look for condensation on the truck ceiling or frost build up if the trailer is for frozen storage.

Agreed. What they're really interested is whether condensate will collect and foster mold growth, not exactly the relative humidity of the air.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Both answers are correct. Also by "feeling". If the air is damp there is excess humidity.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

Peas&Carrots

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, it was along the lines of what I was thinking but I was unsure whether I'd have to set measurable limits to what is acceptable and what is not. The feel of the air by experienced loaders and checking for build up of condensation and/or frost on ceiling and/or floor is something we can do!!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BRC -Storage and distribution, Clause 5.1.4, humidity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users