• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

Hello All,

I was hoping some other people had some insight on a situation we are debating currently, we are a BRC certified tree nut facility, we have an x-ray detector that is NOT considered a CCP that is calibrated against 1.0mm SS and 2.5mm Glass test pieces, the FM issues we do have are all historically not detectable by our x-ray after testing the contaminants (most plastic, etc.) but our calibrations themselves have not found anything out of compliance upon calibration just fine tuning of the machine itself. considering this is not a CCP and we don't have issues with this does anyone think we could justify having this externally calibrated 1 time every 2 years with internal calibration in between on a set schedule? we currently verify the machine hourly during production, prior to start up, and after shut down. does anyone else have any experience with doing something along these lines or have any success with a similar program? BRC essentially states we need to calibrate them enough to control FM contamination with justification but does not give an exact frequency, I'm thinking we could use our internal checks and lack of out of compliance notes on the external checks to justify the frequency but I wanted to run it by the people more experienced/knowledgeable than myself on here. any comments or thoughts are appreciated as this is just something we are debating trying to justify within my department.

P.S. if this post belongs in the calibrations forum and not the x-ray forum my apologies in advance, I was a bit torn on which to post this in and I'm hoping I landed in the correct spot.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:35 AM

Hi there,

I would say a decision should be based on the history of your external calibrations and if any corrections were necessary. 

BRC Interpretation Guideline offer this - Documented metal detector and X-ray procedures
'The BRC Standard does not require routine calibration of metal detectors beyond the verification/ checking activities described in clauses 4.10.3.3, 4.10.3.4 and 4.10.3.5. However, planned maintenance or servicing may have value depending on the machine, manufacturer’s specification, contract and/or operating environment.'

​Kind regards,

​Tony

Thanked by 2 Members:

HochderfferT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

hmmm, not sure how I missed that in the guide I must have had the standard open yesterday and not the interpretation guide, I would imagine I still need to document and justify that whatever we do works to ensure the unit is working, but that definitely helps to justify our decision, I greatly appreciate the response! would still be interested to hear if anyone else has swapped to a system like this for x-ray or metal detection to hear how that went for them with customers / auditors.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users