• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants also?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi

Please.... i need some clarity!

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants aswell.

I have been asked by my MD to write a Bio Security procedure for the site but I have not done this before and I was under the impression it was more for farms.

Please help me!

Thanks

Lyon.Lin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Taiwan
    Taiwan

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Hey buddy, I think u need to provide more informations about the background or scope of ur organization.

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hi

am a cattle abattoir and cutting plant

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Hi

Please.... i need some clarity!

Is bio-security mainly for farms or for cattle slaughter plants aswell.

I have been asked by my MD to write a Bio Security procedure for the site but I have not done this before and I was under the impression it was more for farms.

Please help me!

Thanks

Hi aps - maybe something like this -

Attached File  USDA Food_Defense_Plan for Meat and Poultry Slaughter-Processing Plants.pdf   340.8KB   14 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

kmk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Biosecurity is not just for farms, although it is primarily used on farms to prevent the spread of disease onto the farm.  I could see a need for biosecurity in an animal processing operation to keep viruses and bacteria from entering the plant and infecting live animals.  This might just be policies that you already have in place, such as: coming to work in clean clothing and showered, changing into clean clothing when entering work, changing shoes when arriving at work, washing hands, wearing a hair net, beard net, everyone that works at the plant cannot own livestock or pet birds (they can be carriers without showing symptoms).  At our egg production farm we are very strict with our biosecurity practices and rely on every employee following all of them so we can protect our hens.  Having footbaths, hand sanitizers, providing clothing and boots, truck washing, carefully monitoring every visitor, monitoring the movement of every visitor down to the garbage truck entering on site will help prevent the spread of disease.  Food Defense is different than Biosecurity.  You should be able to find basic biosecurity information in your governments documents.  It may be for poultry but the basics are the same for every species.  You won't have to go as far as a farm would, but should be following some steps to keep the animals and people safe that you are working with.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users