Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:04 AM

I consider moving to auditing and would appreciate help with some questions I have.

I am a young hygiene manager with only three years of experience in UK, I have very good knowledge of hygiene systems and good sense for QMS. I never graduaded, got some basic qualifications (L3 Food Safety, L3 HACCP) and so far worked in frozen, chilled and high care ambient.

1. I am not sure if I should seek role in quality to gain more experience from diffrent perspective or is sticking with hygiene till I can jump into auditing?

2. Do I need a degree?

3. How much experience/knowledge do I need to have a fighting chance during initial start in auditing? How much of it is on the job training vs prerequisite knowledge to start?

4. I have been hearing how important hygiene is on audits however so far every time auditors seem to not be concerned with it. Is it normal if visual standards are on good level to not dig too deep into hygiene?

5. Do you guys enjoy this kind of work? 

Thanks in advance!

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:38 AM

Dear Yettos,

Auditing can be a nice activity. If you have an occasion, it's worth to try it, so that you can judge whether it is something for you or not.

In general the quality manager likes to have members (good auditors) for the internal audit team. So maybe there is an opportunity to jump into it, without going into a quality function. And with 3 years of working experience it can be the right moment.

Yes, to be an internal auditor, you need an "Internal auditor" training.

Hygiene = Very important. Always.

Speaking about me, yes I like the audit process. As you say, it gives experiences from different perspectives.

Good luck with your decision.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

Yettos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:23 AM

Thank you Gerard,

I have been offered to be a part of internal audit team and I am waiting for the course. I can already say that auditing is something I will likely enjoy, I tend to be much more excited about projects and challenges rather than managing ongoing hygiene operation that once set up properly can run well without much involvement from my side. 

I was wondering if I could do lead auditor course, microbiology and BRC course, then perhaps skip a career step or two and look for full time auditor position. It would be quite a challenge but that's exactly how I got to where I am now.

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

Dear Yettos,

That's good news! Hopefully the internal audit course will be soon, so that you cant start with the internal audits, which is an excellent start point.

If you like it, you can go for it! It takes time to gain experience. If you have objectives, you know were you are going.

I my best knowledge, these courses ( lead auditor, microbiology and BRC) are open for everybody.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users