Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi, I have some questions. Please forgive me the bad spelling, I'm spanish speaker,

Iam implementing ISO 22000 in a mineral water plant. It's a premium water, it doesn't have any solids in suspension so they don't want to use filtration. They policy is from the natural font to the final consumer without any treatment. This water is amazing, the micro results are spectacular. The only thing they have is an UV lamp, after studing the situation, i think that this equipment is only for prevention and i don't think that it is a CCP. It is only just in case the pipelines are dirty and can contaminate the water before bottling it.

But, if this lam is a CCP, what can we control and monitor? we adjusted the power at 40% (provider's recommendation) and the screen shows results of dosis in 9999 mj/cm˄2.

Another issue, we use glass bottles. So i think that maybe a torquemeter can be another CCP, bottle caps can be very loose or too strong that glass can crack and be a hazzard for food safety. To loose can be contaminate easily before the shelf life of the product ends.

I'll be very gratefull if someone help me, 

Leticia Da Ponte

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

Hi, I have some questions. Please forgive me the bad spelling, I'm spanish speaker,

Iam implementing ISO 22000 in a mineral water plant. It's a premium water, it doesn't have any solids in suspension so they don't want to use filtration. They policy is from the natural font to the final consumer without any treatment. This water is amazing, the micro results are spectacular. The only thing they have is an UV lamp, after studing the situation, i think that this equipment is only for prevention and i don't think that it is a CCP. It is only just in case the pipelines are dirty and can contaminate the water before bottling it.

But, if this lam is a CCP, what can we control and monitor? we adjusted the power at 40% (provider's recommendation) and the screen shows results of dosis in 9999 mj/cm˄2.

Another issue, we use glass bottles. So i think that maybe a torquemeter can be another CCP, bottle caps can be very loose or too strong that glass can crack and be a hazzard for food safety. To loose can be contaminate easily before the shelf life of the product ends.

I'll be very gratefull if someone help me, 

Leticia Da Ponte

Hi Leticia,

To implement the haccp section of iso22000, you will need to follow the step-by-step details of the Code, eg as detailed in Section 7.

I assume you have a Product Specification for yr mineral water. If not, this is typically the first QA-Process requirement. (may also be related to local legislatory requirements).

The UV lamp is likely installed for microbiological reasons which yr Manufacturing Facility-Production should hopefully already know about. If so, it may be a CCP but this will depend on yr Risk Assessment / Process Flowchart. Same comment regarding the use of glass bottles.

iso22000 involves the designation of PRPs, CCPs and OPRPs.

PS - I deleted yr duplicate post elsewhere since it might cause some confusion.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Letidaponte

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hi! Thanks for replying, 

Yes, we've made all the the steps correctly, the hazzard analysis it's done for all the process steps.

The water it's from a confined aquifer, the conditions are perfect to be bottled without treatment, water is agree the legislation. 

We did all the hazard analysis, and the risk value to analyse trhough the codex tree. Although, the UV lamp is there only for prevention because there's not microbiologycal hazard from the water but maybe in the extraction and conduction pipelines can be some contaminants even the analysis prove that never happened and the final bottle water is ok. Answering the tree questions I'm not sure if it is a CCP or OPRPs, for both we need to control and monitor. But the lamp we adjust the power and stays like that during the production, so, what can be a deviation that we can detect and make corrections?

With the bottleling it's the same, we don't have a scanner after capped, so maybe we need a torquemeter to control how the machine it's working and adjust online if it's capping too strong or too loosy. We don't have the torquemeter and i don't want to make the investment if it is not necesary. That's why i'm asking

Thanks,

Leticia

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

Hi! Thanks for replying, 

Yes, we've made all the the steps correctly, the hazzard analysis it's done for all the process steps.

The water it's from a confined aquifer, the conditions are perfect to be bottled without treatment, water is agree the legislation. 

We did all the hazard analysis, and the risk value to analyse trhough the codex tree. Although, the UV lamp is there only for prevention because there's not microbiologycal hazard from the water but maybe in the extraction and conduction pipelines can be some contaminants even the analysis prove that never happened and the final bottle water is ok. Answering the tree questions I'm not sure if it is a CCP or OPRPs, for both we need to control and monitor. But the lamp we adjust the power and stays like that during the production, so, what can be a deviation that we can detect and make corrections?

With the bottleling it's the same, we don't have a scanner after capped, so maybe we need a torquemeter to control how the machine it's working and adjust online if it's capping too strong or too loosy. We don't have the torquemeter and i don't want to make the investment if it is not necesary. That's why i'm asking

Thanks,

Leticia

Hi Leticia,

The answer to both yr queries is based on your risk assessment of the "hazard".

So what is the specific FS hazard as related to the UV step ? If no microbial hazard (based on data), UV lamp is logically redundant. But If you believe/can justify that  the risk is significant, the control measure (UV lamp) can be a CCP or oprp (or PRP) depending on your chosen method of distinguishing between them (many different methods are in use which are equally acceptable to auditors but may give different results).

And similarly for glass. Every risk assessment is potentially unique to the actual process. However some stages of common processes are typically considered to have significant risks, (eg metal contamination from metal conveyor belts).  I'm not myself familiar with glass bottling process but other members here may be able to advise better than I.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Letidaponte

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Paraguay
    Paraguay

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hi! I have some questions about this topic,

Sorry for my english, i'm spanish speaker

We are preparing the HACCP Plan and OPRP Plan in a mineral water botling Plant.

It's very difficult for me to determinate the CCP's and OPRP's. 

We have a UV lamp on line before the filling for both lines, glass bottles not returnable and PET drums returnable. We detected that step as a CCP for both lines, now we need to validate the operation parameters; UVT%, POWER, dosis.

But, the rinser is also a very important step, we wash the glass bottles with ozonated water at 0.3 to 0.6 %, but it must be mínimum 0.3%. The other day during production, it was at 0.2% only. So we detect that it is important to monitor this step too, how can i know if is a CPP or OPRP. 

Usually the difference is that CPP has a critical limit and OPRP not, but this can have operation limits or parameters. 

On the other hand, for returnable drums we think that reception can be a CPP too,  it is critical that drums wich are very dirty must be separated and eliminated on reception step because our validated cleaning process it is not going to remove those which are very dirty. 

After the cleaning product in prewashing, drums go to rinser with ozonated water same as glass bottles. It is or not a CPP the rinser step? it is just before filling, is the same machine. It is one for drums and anothes for bottles, thats why we have 2 lines.

Any help is welcome, 

Thanks

Edited by Charles.C, 12 October 2017 - 10:05 PM.
moved from new thread

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users