• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Hi,

I wanted to check how You handle sharing of audit reports and quality system documentation with customers?
How much do you share with customers that request this?

For example, a customer who has not been buying from you for several years requests to receive audit reports and various internal documentation. There are no current contracts with this customer, no planned agreement and no quotations either.
Would you send more than current certificates?

Background:
Not many companies in our business segment are certified and we are therefore cautious of over-sharing documentation when we don't know if we'll get the contract with potential customer.

Please let me know what the rest of you think of this subject!

Andy_Yellows

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 201 posts
  • 37 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Football, Dr Pepper

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

Think the standard thing would be to tell them your company is not comfortable releasing sensitive information to non-customers unless for commercial purposes. Once they're in an agreement or contract with yourselves they can have what they like. That's the line I usually go with.

Andy

On the Ball, City

charbear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

I don't see any reason you need to show more proof than your current certifications. If your certified it shows that you've passed any required audits from a facility and documentation standpoint. Is there a reason for them to have concerns about your suppliers?

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I don't see any reason you need to show more proof than your current certifications. If your certified it shows that you've passed any required audits from a facility and documentation standpoint. Is there a reason for them to have concerns about your suppliers?

We're under the same assumption.

As said, they haven't bought from us in a long time and the goods they bought have since passed their shelf life date so if they still have in stock, it's their problem.

We don't see the benefit, or even need, in sharing our documents  (other than certificates) with a company that no longer buys from us. 

Many companies out there take advantage of having one company in their portfolio with all certifications in order (like us) but then only buy small quantities and the majority from other cheaper companies that don't know what food safety is!

That really bugs me.

charbear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

It's true. Consumers really don't know what they're getting or who they're getting it from.

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure: 

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

Redact any trade secrets and share everything. I use it to drive food safety improvements and as a consumer I wish the industry would be more willing to brag about food safety instead of hide it.

Very few people who request the info will ever read it anyway, and in the US, I can FOIA request any audit report I want regardless (for government audits).

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

For the company I work for, there are diverse opinions on what to share:  anything from "give them everything" to "don't give them anything (confidential)".

One point previously discussed about a year ago, was the opinion that a customer saying they wanted your documents in effect meant that they didn't trust your auditor (certification body).

One possible approach is to tell them that you only share documents with current customers who have signed you confidentiality/no disclosure statement.

Another approach would be to ask them to share their documents with you.  Transparency goes both ways.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

When requesting documents from suppliers, I have found they are not willing to provide information if we have not purchased from them in the past 6-12 months.  I would use the same policy for releasing information. You can say that you release only to current customers or provide just the basics.

QM-OS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Sweden
    Sweden

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

When requesting documents from suppliers, I have found they are not willing to provide information if we have not purchased from them in the past 6-12 months.  I would use the same policy for releasing information. You can say that you release only to current customers or provide just the basics.

We've taken the stand that no documents will be shared if the shelf life on last delivered purchase has passed.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users