Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

I am a new Food Saftey Manager and I have been asked to create a HACCP plan for a sauce that is only mixed, no cooking. It only has ghee (clarified), coconut oil, MCT oil and sunflower lecithin. These items are just mixed and bottled, This is a shelf stable product that is being sold as an Omega Power Creamer. I am having troubles identifying CCP with this.

Thanks!

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

I don't see any obvious CCP's from a traditional HACCP approach for this product. You will likely have preventive controls however for hazards associated with your ingredients, allergen preventive controls, and sanitation preventive controls.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

With a HACCP plan doesn't mean you necessarily HAVE to have any CCP's.  If you can show that you thoroughly assessed your processes and your pre-requisite programs are robust enough and answer any safety artificial ones, it will only be an unnecessary and time consuming endeavor that really has no value added.  Make sure though that your allergen program is strong.  Are these bottled in glass or plastic?  If glass then you may need to make sure you have a very strong glass control program also.

Jus'me

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Let me try again and hopefully not delete half my sentences in mid-flow so I make more sense, 9which admittedly would be a first for me):

With a HACCP plan doesn't mean you necessarily HAVE to have any CCP's.  If you can show that you thoroughly assessed your processes and your pre-requisite programs are robust enough and answer any safety issues, you will be fine, you don't necessarily need CCP's.  Just show your pre-req's address the issues.

If you create artificial CCP's, it will only be an unnecessary and time consuming endeavor that really has no value added. And will ultimately cause you more problems.  It is a good way to set yourself up for trouble.

Make sure though that your allergen program is strong.  Are these bottled in glass or plastic?  If glass then you may need to make sure you have a very strong glass control program also.

There that make more sense?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users