Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

I searched for this problem but did not find anything, possibly because it is such a stupid error no one has done it before

After two 3rd party audits, daily monitoring and weekly review I just noticed I have a < (less than) instead of a > (greater than) sign  before the critical limits regarding temperatures for one of our freezers.

It is correct in my written plan but incorrect on the actual monitoring sheet.

The temperature monitoring is not a CCP but is now a PC for FSMA

I can correct the sheet in time for my FSMA compliance date and hope the FDA doesn't ask to look back before the compliance date, but I still have years of monitoring records for future 3rd party audits.

I was thinking of just correcting the monitoring sheet and hoping at the next audit it will not be noticed, but I believe the correct thing to do is write a corrective action stating the error and that the monitoring sheet was corrected as of today.

Is that the correct way to handle this?

Thanks for any help

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

If it's just a paperwork error, and your refrigeration temperature was recorded at the correct temperature, then document the paperwork error and the correction, so that if they look at the old paperwork and notice, they understand it was a typo and didn't play a role in food safety.

If instead you actually recorded data where for example you had your refrigerator in excess of the necessary limits, you have much more work to do to demonstrate why you shouldn't have to issue a recall for products produced within those dates.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thankfully it was just a paperwork error.

I was overthinking that documenting the error would send up a red flag.  

But as you noted, since temperatures were recorded correctly it should be fine.

Guessing that even the auditors missed it because the recorded temperatures were obviously correct.

Thanks for your help!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Correct the form.  Then document the correction and explanation.  It is so simple any auditor or inspector will understand the error and see that in all practicality there was no harm.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Panos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:08 AM

Since you have the temperatures recorded it is not such a big deal. Just make sure that all your temperatures fall within the acceptable limit and make your correction. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Dear Scoot,

Here is what I could find in the BRC norm about making alterations:

"Record completion and maintenance

The company shall maintain genuine records to demonstrate the effective control of product safety, legality and quality.

Records shall be legible, maintained in good condition and retrievable. Any alterations to records shall be authorised and justification for alteration shall be recorded."

By doing so, in addition to the suggested actions above, the only thing to say about is that you apply the right quality system principles. It results in some work now, however you will be more sure during future audits.

I wish you good luck in resolving this question.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanked by 1 Member:

scoot915

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thank to all for the help.

Feel better about it now but still kicking myself for making such a stupid error

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users