• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a wooden ceiling OK in a packaged frozen foods warehouse?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

agasr

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:19 PM

Greetings, 
We are working towards SQF level II Certification for an older warehouse where the ceiling and other building structures are wood/wooden material. 

The warehouse currently handles only Fully packaged (Unexposed) Frozen foods, nothing exposed. I would think the wooden ceiling should NOT be an issue given the products are fully packaged. Don't see any need to justify that in the Risk Assessment as well, again due to the nature of the products stored.

Any one on this forum that has experience on this matter or suggestions ?

Would love to hear from any member that has gone through a similar journey please. 

Regards, 

agasr. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

I have handled a number of SQF developments that included wood ceilings in warehouse areas and of course in food contact areas as well.

I assume your wood ceiling is in excellent condition - considering that it is you'll of course need to put it on your wood register and monitor it for potential rot, water damage, leaks, infestion issues, etc.

The last warehouse where we did an inspection to determine floor, wall, ceiling, roof cap needs had about 200,000 square feet under a wooden ceiling, the ceiling was for the most part in good condition but needed some repairs due to prior leaks from the roof and there was an infestation issue in several areas - that all was taken care of and the entire ceiling was cleaned and then sealed. 

If you maintain it, check it on routine basis and prove that  you do you'll be fine.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users