• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Good Day everyone!

I'm Anthea in real name a newbie here and I just wanna inquire on identifying safety hazards in the workplace for BRC accreditation. I hope you would help me with this thank you. :)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:11 AM

Good Day everyone!

I'm Anthea in real name a newbie here and I just wanna inquire on identifying safety hazards in the workplace for BRC accreditation. I hope you would help me with this thank you. :)

Hi Minion,

Certification to BRC Food Standard will relate to yr Product / Process.

Assuming yr OP is referring to  Food-related hazards I suggest you read a book on haccp like that offered by Mortimore et al

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rdeboer1986

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 33 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Norway
    Norway

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:06 AM

Good morning Minion,

I think you should relate your question to: What hazards/risks can occur in the workshop related to the food safety of the product. Then you can think about chemical /microbiological and or physical contamination.

I.e. if your technical department needs to take a machine or piece of equipment out of production into  the workshop to do maintenance, then you need to make sure that the machine or piece of equipment is cleaned and disinfected afterwards, before put back in the production area to avoid contamination of the product. Another aspect, is the use of food grade chemicals like lubricants in the workshop and production. Also, the storage of chemicals (if they are stored in the workshop) can relate to this. Another aspect is that each employee that handles chemicals (which are usually the technicians and cleaners) are trained in using those chemicals, this can relate to the safety hazard that you are talking about. 

@ Charles: suspected a bit better reaction from you as senior food expert then 'go read a book' ;). I understand your point of view that BRC does not relate to HSE but, there are several aspects that relate to the safe use of chemicals. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

Good morning Minion,

I think you should relate your question to: What hazards/risks can occur in the workshop related to the food safety of the product. Then you can think about chemical /microbiological and or physical contamination.

I.e. if your technical department needs to take a machine or piece of equipment out of production into  the workshop to do maintenance, then you need to make sure that the machine or piece of equipment is cleaned and disinfected afterwards, before put back in the production area to avoid contamination of the product. Another aspect, is the use of food grade chemicals like lubricants in the workshop and production. Also, the storage of chemicals (if they are stored in the workshop) can relate to this. Another aspect is that each employee that handles chemicals (which are usually the technicians and cleaners) are trained in using those chemicals, this can relate to the safety hazard that you are talking about. 

@ Charles: suspected a bit better reaction from you as senior food expert then 'go read a book' ;). I understand your point of view that BRC does not relate to HSE but, there are several aspects that relate to the safe use of chemicals. 

Hi RDE,

Sorry you were disappointed.

I was initially going to merely ask if this was HSE so as to clarify for further conversation (as you will hv noted here, a very frequent necessity)  but thought the OP deserved an introductorily helpful suggestion in case it wasn't [HSE].

Perhaps you would have preferred my first instinct ?

I don't know if you are familiar with Mortimore's text ?. This is a simply brilliant publication IMO for taking a "newbie" from a starting level up to a considerable degree of haccp capability. Afaik the No.1 bestseller in the instructional haccp arena.

Hopefully Anthea will eventually clarify her specific interest.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users