Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

What is the best option for cleaning food contact surfaces in a dry facility using a spray and wipe procedure?

We process walnuts and all equipment is blown off and then sprayed with a cleaner, thoroughly wiped off, and then sanitized. In the past we have used paper towels but they don't work all that well as far as absorption and tear quite quickly. I recently toured a facility that used microfiber clothes for zone 1 and then terrycloth rags for 2 & 3. They were laundered using a contracted service. I have also looked into Kimberly-Clark Wypall products as I felt that would be better because they are single use products.

What do you all feel is the best product to use for our application?

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:48 PM

We use lint free towels in our dry blow molding areas with a laundry service. The biggest thing that's hard to manage as QA is getting people to grab clean towels and properly take care of dirty ones.

I very rarely see any foreign material or debris introduced by the towels however, so they seem to work well.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

When I worked in a bakery, we used the Wypall towels that came in a large roll.  They did not tear easily, did not have lint, and were absorbent

Pete Froesse

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Anything peanuts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

What is the best option for cleaning food contact surfaces in a dry facility using a spray and wipe procedure?

We process walnuts and all equipment is blown off and then sprayed with a cleaner, thoroughly wiped off, and then sanitized. In the past we have used paper towels but they don't work all that well as far as absorption and tear quite quickly. I recently toured a facility that used microfiber clothes for zone 1 and then terrycloth rags for 2 & 3. They were laundered using a contracted service. I have also looked into Kimberly-Clark Wypall products as I felt that would be better because they are single use products.

What do you all feel is the best product to use for our application?

Hi there, we process peanuts and I have a similar problem. What type of spray cleaner do you use, how do you sanitize and what did you eventually end up doing?

itreatpets

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:11 PM

We use the Wypalls with DrySan spray from Ecolab. Its been 2 months so far and had no issues.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

Wypall all the way.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food contact surface, cleaning, wypall, microfiber, sanitation, walnut, processing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users