• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

Hi Guys!

Is it adequate to verify thermometers that are calibrated annually using the ice slurry method without necessarily having a reference thermometer?  Likewise, is verification an optional procedure or necessary aside from the external calibration?

Thanks! 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:19 AM

Hi Guys!

Is it adequate to verify thermometers that are calibrated annually using the ice slurry method without necessarily having a reference thermometer?  Likewise, is verification an optional procedure or necessary aside from the external calibration?

Thanks! 

Hi rodessa,

I assume yr use of the term verification is in the context of haccp.

If so, the typical answers are No and Yes.

But it might depend on what you are using the thermometer(s) for and who is auditing yr results.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Wildspice926

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

Hi rodessa,

I assume yr use of the term verification is in the context of haccp.

If so, the typical answers are No and Yes.

But it might depend on what you are using the thermometer(s) for and who is auditing yr results

Hi Charles.C,

The thermometers are actually used for monitoring CCP and OPRP parameters. I am referring to ISO 2200 Clause 8.3 Control of monitoring and measuring. Based on my understanding, if the thermometers are just calibrated annually, there must be a need for daily in-house verification using ice-point method (based on operating condition) against a reference thermometer. These digital probe type thermometers are used daily in the processing lines and might possibly be dropped or subjected to shock that could possibly affect its calibration hence the requirement for daily verification. I want to be sure if my understanding is correct regarding this.

Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Hi Charles.C,

The thermometers are actually used for monitoring CCP and OPRP parameters. I am referring to ISO 2200 Clause 8.3 Control of monitoring and measuring. Based on my understanding, if the thermometers are just calibrated annually, there must be a need for daily in-house verification using ice-point method (based on operating condition) against a reference thermometer. These digital probe type thermometers are used daily in the processing lines and might possibly be dropped or subjected to shock that could possibly affect its calibration hence the requirement for daily verification. I want to be sure if my understanding is correct regarding this.

Thanks!

Hi Wildspice,

Brief summary my thermometer Procedure (not iso22000 but I anticipate most FS Standards are similar regarding basics)  –

(1) digital thermometers are used to routinely monitor locations at temperatures of approx (a)0degC, (b) -18degC,  ©100degC

(2) one master thermometer, X,  exists which is externally/annually calibrated so that its errors at the above 3 temperatures, typically within +/- 0.5degC. are known.

(3) X is used to create 3 sub-master thermometers of known, acceptable, error for monitoring (a), (b), (c) using ice/water, cold-room, boiling water/steam respectively.

Verification procedure is to weekly repeat step (3). This frequency is “risk-based” via historical data.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users