Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

Currently we are producing lactose free milk by inoculation of lactase enzyme which breaks down lactose into glucose and galactose. We then use a glucose strip to ensure this break down is done. However this does not help us ensure that the milk is free from lactose. How can we verify this?

Could anyone guide me on the best practices to verify this? Thanks

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hi r.raju,

what is the legal definition of "lactose-free"? I don't know such a defintion comparable to "gluten-free", but several are used (10 or 100 ppm).

We (a biscuit manufacturer) will explain our "lactose-free" claim on pack for the consumer. We are using the most sensitive method for detection of lactose. The target should be analysed; it is IMO not possible to validate the claim with a glucose semiquantative stick.

Rgds

moskito

r.raju

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

Dear Moskito,

Thank you for your reply. I agree with your opinion however I would like to know what are the best methods (tests) for ensuring that lactose free milk is free from lactose? Please guide me. Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Currently we are producing lactose free milk by inoculation of lactase enzyme which breaks down lactose into glucose and galactose. We then use a glucose strip to ensure this break down is done. However this does not help us ensure that the milk is free from lactose. How can we verify this?

Could anyone guide me on the best practices to verify this? Thanks

Hi r.raju,

"Best Practice" may depend on location/legality.

Attached is an impressive looking (but probably financially demanding) NMR methodology. It also contains a (critical) mini-review of other methods currently in use with links.

The article also offers one (German) quantitative answer to the question in Post 2 (see Pg 116).

Attached File  milk lactose free validation.pdf   1.04MB   21 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:48 AM

If you have an NMR instrument, or an instrument like NMR you can calibrate a channel for lactose on the instrument using a number of different samples to give it a range.

Additionally, if you have a cryoscope you can use it to determine when then enzyme reaction is done, like you do with the glucose strips.  This is what we do, but we also validate it with outside testing to ensure it "lactose free", legal definitions of this are fuzzy in the US.

NMR would be best if you have the capability.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users