• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:18 AM

Hi all,

We have a quality manual that is old but working ok very simple, I am updated it slowly . I have changed our document control procedure which has change our doc identification /template  and I have started with version 1 .

how do I add this to the old manual without causing a non conformance? Only the updated procedures follow the document control procedure. Can someone offer any advise.

thanks 

Tracey

#2 Gerard H.

Gerard H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 126 posts
  • 43 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hi Tracey,

Your quality system is growing and evolving. That implicates, that the changes are coming with a quicker pace, which has its impact on your system

In your situation, I would create a project of indexation of your quality documents. You split it up by topic and you start with version-numbering all the documents. You just put the version number and date, creating a starting point with version 1. However, with this one by one approach, you can use the oppurtunity to revise the documents (a requirement of the certification schedules). That takes more time, but it prepares you for the upcoming audits.

There will probably come reactions and ideas from other members.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

#3 Tracey Scott

Tracey Scott

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Gerald 

What would this look like.

A project Index that  with new procedure recorded and ID of previous procedure?

Would I still remove old procedures and replace with new?

Thanks again 

Tracey

#4 nwilson

nwilson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

Did you have a documented meeting to discuss the new changes with the Food Safety &/or Management Teams?  If you have documented the process and are in the works of moving to a new doc control format there should be no non-conformance for this.  So long as there is timeline to get all the remaining documents into the new format and that the process is being reviewed.   

#5 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 12,449 posts
  • 3244 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

Hi all,

We have a quality manual that is old but working ok very simple, I am updated it slowly . I have changed our document control procedure which has change our doc identification /template  and I have started with version 1 .

how do I add this to the old manual without causing a non conformance? Only the updated procedures follow the document control procedure. Can someone offer any advise.

thanks 

Tracey

Hi Tracy,

In theory it's simple. You could simply generate a new, documented, procedure, to state what you are doing after date X/Y/Z.

But it's clearly not a very elegant solution for other users, plus the practicality may depend on the details of yr old/new systems.

I had a sort of related problem, dozens of old methods/forms identified by a footered alphanumeric/date system. i chose to "update" everything.

I copied/reduced all the old documents and then added new references in the free footer space generated. Can be done pretty easily via PC template/ printer/bulk xeroxing although rather labor intensive. But this would be less elegant if there was significant cross-referencing within/between text in old documents. My old documents were all standalone.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

#6 Gerard H.

Gerard H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 126 posts
  • 43 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

Dear Tracey,

With a project I mean to define an objective and to take time to work toward it. For example 4 hours/week during 6 months.

There are several possible approaches or combinations to resolve your question. The suggested work method from Charles C. is a good one. That permits you to integrate your old documents and build a coherent documentary system at the same time.

It may be an idea to visit one or more companies in the neighbourhood to look at their document management system, giving you a better vision of how it can be.

Indexing is just meant as synonymous for "Table of contents".

I hope to have clarified some of your questions.

Kind regards,

Gerard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users