I allow bottles in the facility under the following conditions:
1. The bottles contain only water or black coffee (we make coffee in our facility so it felt silly to ban it).
2. The bottles have spill-proof lids (can tip over without spilling, screw tops or other).
3. Bottles are not stored in/above product contact areas.
4. Employees wash hands as necessary to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Bottles are kept in a sanitary condition.
6. Spills from bottles are treated as a food safety hazard and QA is involved in the response.
We have a 90 degree plant in the summer, water availability is a safety concern and if the bottles can be stored safely it's reasonable. This would be much harder for a different product line than mine however and it will be situation specific.
QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.
Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!
Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.