• Quick Navigation
Photo

Use of washable cloth caps instead of disposable hairnets?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Hello all, I didn't see this topic specifically, but have any of you seen the use of cloth caps that could be washed and re-used in the food, supplement, or pharmaceutical industries?  This would be an alternative to disposable hairnets/bouffant caps that are typically used.

We manufacture dietary supplements in the United States under 21 CFR part 111 and parts of 21 CFR part 117.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

ctzinck

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 110 posts
  • 38 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

who will be responsible for the laundering?

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

Never have seen cloth caps worn in your type of operation.

Could be an interesting risk analysis from the standpoint of how they sources, washed (with other items, etc and chemicals), residual evidence of chemicals that are used, etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

If they were laundered to the same standard as your smocks I see no reason that using a reusable cap would be of any issue. Hairnets aren't sterile, just clean. Provided the caps provide the same amount of hair protection as a hairnet would (e.g. goes over the ears and contains all hair) then I would say full steam ahead.

As a secondary reference, surgical gowns and caps were washed when I worked in vet clinics, though we did run those through an autoclave.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

bbrown

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

Worked in a food environment and we had used cloth caps in which the company took responsibility for laundry and re-issuance to employees. We had designated collection bins for soiled ones and fresh ones were kept in the gowning area. We had prescribed standards of washing to which the third party vendor had acknowledged/agreed to i.e. no mixing with other clients, washing process to be uniformly applied, including what detergents to use etc etc. 

BBROWN

SQF Practitioner

Food Packaging Company

Thanked by 1 Member:

Alex V.

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:08 PM

what kind of caps were they?  were they designed like hairnets but cloth? or were they more like chef's/cook's hats?

Thanked by 1 Member:

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 150 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

ctzinck Theoretically we would launder them ourselves in our building. Alex V. This is something we're considering, but it is a long shot.  We have never used cloth caps.  I suppose in theory they could look like a surgical cap.

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Meeting new people, quality and learning new things!

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:17 PM

This question just came up at my job in relation to wearing mask. My boss says if we let employees wash their mask daily, he thinks if we let them wash their reusable hairnets at home, we should be ok because he doesn't want to launder them through a 3rd party. I guess he is comparing the mask to the hairnets. My question is, is there a guidance on this? Is there a way to do this without breaking a rule? We are trying to move to reusable hairnets because most people are worried about waste and ECO problems.

Thanks.

Good Morning All, I am quite interested in getting others view on this topic. We allowed employees wear their own personally laundered mask during the virus and now we incorporated it into our CGMP. My question is do you all agree that employees can take care of their hairnets like they did the mask? Is this enough to convince an auditor or inspector? I am just curious about everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks.

Edited by Charles.C, 17 June 2021 - 02:27 PM.
combined

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

This question just came up at my job in relation to wearing mask. My boss says if we let employees wash their mask daily, he thinks if we let them wash their reusable hairnets at home, we should be ok because he doesn't want to launder them through a 3rd party. I guess he is comparing the mask to the hairnets. My question is, is there a guidance on this? Is there a way to do this without breaking a rule? We are trying to move to reusable hairnets because most people are worried about waste and ECO problems.

Thanks.

Good Morning All, I am quite interested in getting others view on this topic. We allowed employees wear their own personally laundered mask during the virus and now we incorporated it into our CGMP. My question is do you all agree that employees can take care of their hairnets like they did the mask? Is this enough to convince an auditor or inspector? I am just curious about everyone's opinion on this.

Thanks.

Apples and Oranges ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:33 PM

Apples and Oranges ?

I mean, they are both worn inside of production.  :huh:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:08 PM

Ok, I honestly don't think this is an apples and oranges. I think it's pretty much the same. 

The risk analysis which made a company say "hey, we have to do X with our hair nets!" should have had the same result with the face masks, right?

If a similar risk analysis was done, and it came up with a different result, why? If the answer is "well we used disposable beard/hair nets because it was the simplest way we could handle the risk at the time" then you are probably ok with changing it. If the answer was "because we feel a loss of control over this (putting this in the hands of the employees) poses a true risk to our final product" then you probably shouldn't have allowed (that wording is too harsh, maybe should have explored different options is better) it to happen with your face masks. 

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 04:38 PM

Ok, I honestly don't think this is an apples and oranges. I think it's pretty much the same. 

The risk analysis which made a company say "hey, we have to do X with our hair nets!" should have had the same result with the face masks, right?

If a similar risk analysis was done, and it came up with a different result, why? If the answer is "well we used disposable beard/hair nets because it was the simplest way we could handle the risk at the time" then you are probably ok with changing it. If the answer was "because we feel a loss of control over this (putting this in the hands of the employees) poses a true risk to our final product" then you probably shouldn't have allowed (that wording is too harsh, maybe should have explored different options is better) it to happen with your face masks. 

I guess Covid was the risk assessment for masks. Did anyone do a risk assessment for the use of masks? Maybe some companies used only disposable masks during that period just like disposable hairnets and beard nets. I just know everyone was allowed to wear any mask of their choice as long as they had a mask on. We never asked them if they laundered it properly nor did we launder it for them hence my sincere dilemma with this. I sincerely want to get peoples opinion on this. 

Thanks for your response.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:02 PM

I would like to know what your company produces so that as a family we can make a note of it and be sure not to buy anything.

I will not comment on the masks, that was just its own cluster all by itself but I would not allow an employee to take a retainer device, hair, etc home and launder same - your company loses complete control and have no idea what the item is being washed with or in for that matter for that matter being washed at all.

Also, when you make your employees wash their own you need to pay them for their time.  Most companies that ask me this type of question want to avoid the work and the expense of doing it themselves thus attempt to push it off on the employee - the employee in turn takes the least amount of work possible to wash your item, but still needs to spend some time in doing so - for which I certainly would want to be compensated for.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:22 PM

I would like to know what your company produces so that as a family we can make a note of it and be sure not to buy anything.

I will not comment on the masks, that was just its own cluster all by itself but I would not allow an employee to take a retainer device, hair, etc home and launder same - your company loses complete control and have no idea what the item is being washed with or in for that matter for that matter being washed at all.

Also, when you make your employees wash their own you need to pay them for their time.  Most companies that ask me this type of question want to avoid the work and the expense of doing it themselves thus attempt to push it off on the employee - the employee in turn takes the least amount of work possible to wash your item, but still needs to spend some time in doing so - for which I certainly would want to be compensated for.

Are you referring to my company? I have not said our employees are allowed to launder their hairnets. I am just curious about this issue. Everyone lost complete control on the masks and it was acceptable, does that mean we are allowed to loose control? We don't know what they wash their masks with or in or if its being washed at all, yet we have let them wear it for more than a year now. I am not justifying this behavior rather I am just wondering about this situation with everything that is going on around us. 

Thanks.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:38 PM

Oh and I hope I didn't come off as "that was a bad thing to do!" with the mask situation. Risk management would dictate you control the biggest risk ASAP to close gaps. From all reports COVID was the biggest risk, and you handled that.

I actually was debating even replying on this one, I don't have hairnets/beardnets in my current facility and I felt they were extreme overkill in previous facilities. 

Edited by TimG, 17 June 2021 - 05:38 PM.

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:21 PM

Oh and I hope I didn't come off as "that was a bad thing to do!" with the mask situation. Risk management would dictate you control the biggest risk ASAP to close gaps. From all reports COVID was the biggest risk, and you handled that.

I actually was debating even replying on this one, I don't have hairnets/beardnets in my current facility and I felt they were extreme overkill in previous facilities. 

No, Not at all Tim. Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies