• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hello everyone,

We are currently having a debate with one of our customers regarding external bait stations. Our PCO has recently introduced us to Bell's "Protecta Evo Express" bait stations comes pre-installed with a concrete block that is completely enclosed with no bolts or screws that can break or crack.

Our customer insists that the bait stations need to be tethered to the building or ground - could anyone share some information other than the statement made by the manufacturer that would help us out as to understand exactly why would we require to secure those stations even with a concrete block inside. 

Thanks 

DenisB

http://www.belllabs....cta-evo-express

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Those are some nice bait stations!  Show your customer this video --- 

I see no reason why they would want them secured to the building, with the exception of the fact that mice and rats run along and against the building and they don't want them too far away from the building thus allowing the vermin to bypass the trap.

However these evo's have a section that allows it to be placed right up against the building thus making the rat/mice go into the trap instead of bypassing it on a direct line run.

I liked the inlay concrete block, nice touch!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Did your customer give you a reason why they think they have to be secured?  The requirement is for the bait to be secure - the station is locked and it won't blow away.   When the bait station doesn't have a concrete block inside, then it was typically tethered to a concrete block on the outside of the station, the building or the ground for security purposes as well as effectiveness.  

When we installed these stations, our customer was concerned that someone could just pick up a bait station and take it away because it wasn't secured to anything.   We had a daily check off of the outside stations to ensure they were all in place and outside overall security checks throughout the day.  Once we described the measures we had in place we came to an agreement on the use of these types of stations.   Have you had any instances where stations were missing or out of place since you installed these?  Perhaps you can 'prove' your position to your customer that you are monitoring the effectiveness and the placement of the stations.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

DenisB

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

Did your customer give you a reason why they think they have to be secured?  The requirement is for the bait to be secure - the station is locked and it won't blow away.   When the bait station doesn't have a concrete block inside, then it was typically tethered to a concrete block on the outside of the station, the building or the ground for security purposes as well as effectiveness.  

When we installed these stations, our customer was concerned that someone could just pick up a bait station and take it away because it wasn't secured to anything.   We had a daily check off of the outside stations to ensure they were all in place and outside overall security checks throughout the day.  Once we described the measures we had in place we came to an agreement on the use of these types of stations.   Have you had any instances where stations were missing or out of place since you installed these?  Perhaps you can 'prove' your position to your customer that you are monitoring the effectiveness and the placement of the stations.  

Thank you Peaches,

The thing is that anchoring bait stations to the building does damage the exterior walls eventually. creating another problem for maintenance.Basically, our customer quality requirement for exterior bait station is to have those secure so no one can run off with it. Over the past, it has never occurred that these stations were ever removed except those near loading docks during winter months - where we remove those that may be damaged by snow removal. Otherwise, there are no missing station ever.

The daily check is not an option for us, it would be added cost to have someone tour the facility daily when pest control is either done weekly or monthly (varies from location to location) but we can go back 5 years and demonstrate that none have ever been missing - but until now most bait station were secured by a chain to the walls - but we want to move away from these as we create damages to our exterior walls.

Regards

DenisB

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thank you Peaches,

The thing is that anchoring bait stations to the building does damage the exterior walls eventually. creating another problem for maintenance.Basically, our customer quality requirement for exterior bait station is to have those secure so no one can run off with it. Over the past, it has never occurred that these stations were ever removed except those near loading docks during winter months - where we remove those that may be damaged by snow removal. Otherwise, there are no missing station ever.

The daily check is not an option for us, it would be added cost to have someone tour the facility daily when pest control is either done weekly or monthly (varies from location to location) but we can go back 5 years and demonstrate that none have ever been missing - but until now most bait station were secured by a chain to the walls - but we want to move away from these as we create damages to our exterior walls.

Regards

DenisB

I agree with SQFconsultant, it sounds like this is a "what I'm used to" requirement from your supplier rather than any that's actually enforced by any standard I've seen. I'd push back with the data you said you can provide about no missing traps and ask about what FS standard they're holding pest control to.

We do a weekly walkabout to verify traps and use the same ones you indicated with the weight inside. None have ever been tethered to the building and this has never been an issue (we do have signage marking them all however).

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

I think your customer is confusing attaching to the ground with secured. The Bell bait station is secured, it cannot be opened without use of that key, short of destroying it. And they are very tough. Ours take a beating from forklifts before they break. 

The only reason to attach it to the ground is to prevent it from being dragged away by wild or feral animals. The concrete block stops that, unless it's a bear, lol.

So please tell your customer that it is secured with the locking device.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

Steve Rogers

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

The word 'secured' in this instance has two meanings, secured in place and secured from tampering, and in a lot of cases the customer tends to be a Technologist who knows their own standards but not the thinking behind why theclauses were introduced as this knowledge has been lost in the mists of time. You need to give your customer confidence that the pest baiting/monitoring equipment will be in the same position every day so it can be monitored for activity and that any bait within is protected from removal by unauthorized personnel. No system is foolproof as boxes can always be moved if someone wants to and keys to rodent boxes can be got if you really wanted them. The concrete block will stop the wind blowing the box away but a simple length of wire glued to the wall and the box helps demonstrate it is fixed in place.

Thanked by 2 Members:

DenisB

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback - but can someone tell me if there are regulations requiring bait stations to be anchored (secured in place) so it will remain in its location - Are there rules or regulation or is it only an idea that someone initiated because bait stations were being moved around.

Just trying to find out if there is any regulation for this. I understand the fact that unanchored bait stations will move around and be damaged or stolen - but are there any other reason for anchoring bait stations?

If you have references please supply the info.

Thanks to all

DenisB

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

This is a really interesting debate.  I find myself agreeing more with the auditor but actually find any method is flawed.  Steverogers point on "secured in place and secured from tampering" is what the issue is about, it's not just secured from tampering. 

Why do I not agree with a "weighted" securing method?  Well because they will go missing / get moved etc.  Trust me.  You can argue until you're blue in the face that it's fine with an auditor but the first audit you have where a box isn't where it's meant to be is an easy non conformance.  If they can be moved, even if that's just being slid along the ground, they will be moved.  Even if your pest auditor picks it up in their audits and the auditor then sees it, they're then well within their rights to say your method of securing the boxes is not acceptable.

That said, the typical method of securing with a wire is also fraught with error as often the boxes are turned in position, especially those used inside for mice as the boxes are light and easy to move with cleaning equipment.

I don't hold with the mode of connecting them being an issue though.  I have never seen in my 20+ years in the food industry any building that has been damaged by connecting a pest monitor to it because there is normally a useful set of ironworks near where you'd like to place one or the wall is sufficiently thick not to be a problem.

Whenever someone comes up with a new way of doing something I'm minded to think "was the old way a problem?" Unless the new way is an improvement, which for this I don't think it is sadly, I know I'm going to have a battle on my hands with auditors.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

DenisB AFAIK, there are no specific regulations in US or canada for pest control in food companies that have any sort of requirement as to how you secure your bait stations.

Guidelines
  • The operator should implement an effective, written pest control program for the premises and equipment. This program should prevent the entry of pests and should detect and eliminate any pests which may gain entry. The program should include:
    • the person who is assigned responsibility for pest control;
    • the name of the pest control company or the name of the person contracted for the pest control program, where applicable;
    • the list of chemicals used, their concentration (in accordance with label instructions), and the location, method and frequency of application;
    • a map of the location of pest control devices that are monitored; and
    • the type and frequency of inspection to verify the effectiveness of the program.
  • Pesticides used should be registered under the Pest Control Products Act and Regulations. Pesticides must be used in accordance with the label instructions (available on the Pest Management Regulatory Agency's Pesticide Public Registry).
  • Chemical treatment of equipment, premises or ingredients to control pests should be as per label instructions. They should also be applied so that the maximum residue limit specified in the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations is not exceeded (for example, the number of fumigation treatments per lot is limited).
  • Poisonous rodenticides should not be used within the premises.

http://www.inspectio...24822033#s1-2-7

However, if your customer is under any sort of 3rd pary auditing scheme (SQF, BRC, ISO, FSSC) they may have additional requirements that the other users have outlined above. However there is no legal requirement here.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

ruth2art

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Hello everyone,

We are currently having a debate with one of our customers regarding external bait stations. Our PCO has recently introduced us to Bell's "Protecta Evo Express" bait stations comes pre-installed with a concrete block that is completely enclosed with no bolts or screws that can break or crack.

Our customer insists that the bait stations need to be tethered to the building or ground - could anyone share some information other than the statement made by the manufacturer that would help us out as to understand exactly why would we require to secure those stations even with a concrete block inside. 

Thanks 

DenisB

http://www.belllabs....cta-evo-express

Your customer may be referring to the Consolidated AIB Standards for Food Safety

Section II B.1. 

1. "Outside bait stations for the control of rats and mice. These bait stations should meet tamper resistance standards and shall be properly positioned, anchored in place, locked, and properly labeled in compliance with regulatory requirements. "

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users