Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Storage and Distribution of Ready to Eat (RTE) without further processing of snack foods such as vacuum pack beef, sausage, and other smoke meat foods.

I am looking for proper hygiene practices for storage, or any food safety concern I should be address in our FS plans - if required.  What I had read so far that vacuum pack RTE is shelf stable, so doesn’t pose a risk in storage until packaging has been open by consumer.

Thanks

David

#2 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 12,578 posts
  • 3275 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Storage and Distribution of Ready to Eat (RTE) without further processing of snack foods such as vacuum pack beef, sausage, and other smoke meat foods.

I am looking for proper hygiene practices for storage, or any food safety concern I should be address in our FS plans - if required.  What I had read so far that vacuum pack RTE is shelf stable, so doesn’t pose a risk in storage until packaging has been open by consumer.

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I assume you mean indefinite,  ambient shelf stable.

Sounds like you have invented a new food category, eg vacuum pack this -

http://preparednessa...e-dry-sausages/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

#3 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Senior
  • 488 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

So basic hygiene practices for warehousing packaged shelf stable foods? Simple starting place would be:

• Building must be secure to both pests and unauthorized personnel (my general pest rule is that if I can see sunlight something needs to be done)
  • Restrooms need to be separated from the warehouse or be equipped with self closing doors, soap, water, TP, a way to dry hands, and a handwashing sign
  • No eating/drinking/storing personal belongings in the warehouse
  • Some sort of cleaning implements need to be on site with a procedure on how to handle spills and/or potentially infectious waste (i.e if someone were to hurl in your warehouse know what you would do)
  • keep it swept, organized, and make waste obvious and separate from storage

The above tends to be good practice (if implemented thoroughally) and tends to be sufficient for many state-level inspections. Not GFSI standards.

For discussions related to food safety, production, and agriculture. Check out my blog at http://furfarmandfork.com/.

#4 CLN

CLN

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Charles and FurFarmandFork

Thanks for your assistance on this matter.  Also, the link is an excellent source of information that I was looking for.

Thanks again!

David

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Storage and Distribution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users