Nikki R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Painting, Spending time with my little men, Food Fraud and writing childrens books

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

Are there any OM experts out there that can help. We are having difficulty interpreting the OM guidelines. The company I work for make sauces. Some are concentrates which come out of the kettles at 110 degrees Celsius and continues to warm up for awhile, some come out of the kettle at 80-90 degrees Celsius and cool down they are packed between this temp and 64 degrees and the rest are passed through a heat exchanger and pumped at around 20 degrees Celsius. My colleague thinks that packaging tested to OM2 or OM3 is suitable but the way I interpret it would be nothing less that OM5 is suitable. We have no evidence of how long the sauces take to cool down. I have known pots of concentrates and bottles of sauce to be warm days later if packed into boxes straight away. It has also been suggested that as some of our sauces are low pH, low to no oil and contain no alcohol that OM testing would not apply to these products but that does not sit right with me. Can anybody offer any advice or point me in the right direction to OM guide lines for dummies please :lol:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:16 AM

I must be a Super-D.

What is OM ? :uhm:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Nikki R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Painting, Spending time with my little men, Food Fraud and writing childrens books

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Sorry, OM is Overall Migration of plastics in to products from packaging 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:50 PM

Sorry, OM is Overall Migration of plastics in to products from packaging 

Hi Nikki,

Ahhh, thks, now i remember.

I'll leave OM1-5 to those who may be competent to respond. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

geocra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi,

regarding the OM matter, you can refer to Table 3 of chapter 3 of EU Regulation 10/2011. There you can see that if a product is heated to a temperature of more than 100oC, you can only use OM5 or OM7. Both conditions can cover the long term storage that is being described in OM1 & OM2. In case of a fatty food you use OM7.

As for the simulants, if I correctly interpret the type of sauce, you can use 08.04A (sauces with aqueous character-simulants B & C. You can omit B if pH is not too low).

Hope this is helpful

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users