• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can we add another label on top of an incorrect label?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Fijiball

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 102 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Fiji
    Fiji
  • Interests:Living life

Posted 23 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

Can we alter the lable on top of an incorrect label.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

Can we alter the lable on top of an incorrect label.

Hi saenath,

i presume "alter" = "add"

Not sure about UK but in many Countries this could result in  a Regulatory Rejection.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 04:17 AM

That would be a no, no Saenath.

You need to fully remove the label if possible then relabel.

Kind regards,

Tony

tdunkley

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

Also, if removal of the old label would make it look bad, or appear to be tampered with, then it's another clear "no", certainly from a retailer perspective. 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

As others have said, I would say "no". 

Interestingly I had a labelling issue last month where on a (non customer facing) pack had the correct "display until" date but had missed the words "display until" so I agreed they could have a second label with the words "display until" and the same date.  In my mind in any case, there could be no customer confusion but with a customer facing pack it always has to be a "no" for me.  Fully remove the label or strip completely if the label can't be removed.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

FSIS actually permits stickers to correct issues, and I can't find it at the moment but I remember FDA being on the fence about it as well.

"Q34. If a pressure sensitive sticker is used to correct a label issue (e.g., nutrition facts panel error, allergen advisory declaration, etc.), may the sticker be applied generically or would the manufacturer be required to submit a temporary label approval in order to apply this sticker?

If a pressure sensitive sticker is applied to a label in order to correct a label error or deficiency, the label may be used with the sticker indefinitely.  However, if the sticker is used to add information to a label but does not correct the label to be fully compliant (e.g. adding an ingredient of public health concern but not placed in its proper order of predominance), then the establishment will need to correct it’s label or submit the label for a temporary approval to be able to keep using the incorrect label until the label can be replaced. "

The key point is that the sticker should completely cover/obscure any conflicting/replacement material, so placement is critical, and the sticker adhesive/backing should be strong enough that the sticker cannot be removed to expose the material underneath (i.e. it should tear and continue to cover what's underneath if someone were to pick at it).

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

For sure, I have seen packs in the UK overstickered with different nutritional and ingredient information for the UK vs. the manufacturing country and it's legal to do that but IMO it is fraught with error and risk.  If only one pack is missed, it's a public recall and it does happen.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users