Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right category.  I am trying to figure product compositions as I am new to them since our QC Manager left without teaching me and it is now my job to complete them.

We produce relish and brined vegetables and I can't figure out how to figure the vinegar for product compositions. We ferment our vegetables in tanks and some have a natural acid in them.  Do I have to account for the acid in the product or only the vinegar that is added after fermentation?  I'm sure this is confusing because it is to me.  If I have a recipe and we add 18 pounds of vinegar to a product that has a gross weight of 1800# am I correct that the percent composition would be 1% vinegar in the total product.  The product has a natural acid of 0.9 % acid.  And we are putting a 0.5 % acetic acid on it.  Would I figure the vinegar percent on how much we add to the product or the percent acetic acid that is in the product after the brine is added?

I am starting with a pickle that tests .9% acid.  We need a final acid of 0.7%.  In 90 gallons of brine we are putting 2 gallons of vinegar in to get a final acetic acid percent of 0.7% So would my product compostiton be the amount of vinegar we are adding to the pickles or the amount in the total product?

Hoping someone can help me understand this.

#2 srose

srose

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hi jpotrz,

Hopefully I won't lead you wrong but here is my take on your query (if you have not answered it yet):

Your vinegar percent is the % of actual vinegar in the product when compared to the total weight of all the ingredients. So I would say yes, the % Vinegar (the actual ingredient) is 1% of your product.

Your acidity is determined from testing and can be different from the % vinegar if your product has other ingredients that can make it acidic also. Vinegar contributes to % acidity but if there are ingredients that are also acidic e.g ascorbic acid to prevent browning/oxidation, then these ingredients will also affect your acidity value.

Hope I helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users