• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Tanzania
    Tanzania

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Hi All, 

I have been quite curious on the maximum shelf life of the concentrates used in Carbonated soft drinks. Most would have 1 year shelf life however from experience suppliers tend to offer extension periods upon request of client for an expired concentrate. Anyone knows what is the maximum period for an extension? 

eg. Can a concentrate X expiring in Dec 2017 be granted extension period of 1 year? 2 year? 3 years? 

BrummyJim

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 329 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Motorbike gone now. Only the dog to walk!

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

Hi Hassan,

My experience is juices only. We offer 18 months frozen shelf life and would probably give two 3 month extensions based on us evaluating the product. However, if it's been sitting in your warehouse, we probably wouldn't make any concession as we wouldn't know the storage conditions.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:47 PM

I've never been fond of customers or, as a customer, asking vendors / suppliers to offer shelf-life extensions.  It is an absolutely absurd process as they or you, have no idea what conditions the item was stored under.

The only REAL WAY to determine shelf-life is your own evaluation of the item for the quality / safety factors you hold as important to the item and your product you use it in.

There's no way to tell how much longer something can be extended even if you do evaluate the item because degradation is not always linear.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users