Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

I work for an agricultural company using fruit that is not fresh market quality to make cold pressed juices. We've been doing this for about 6 months and have isolated mold as a key factor in quality. With some research I discovered the Howard Mold screening process. I would like to see if this can be used to test incoming fruit mold levels and also post-pressing mold levels to make sure that we won't end up with a mold count above 4 logs. Does anyone have any insight into the viability of this as a "leading indicator" and how it might be set up? I can't find an SOP online except for this : hausserscientific.com/products/howard_mold_counter.html That link is helpful and all, but I don't really know what the filaments are supposed to look like or what how to set up a correlation of length or density of filaments to total mold count. Maybe someone knows of some standards that could be applied in this application? 

My microscope will be arriving in a week or so which I magically got for free from a lab that got new equipment. I'm hesitant to order the Howard mold counting chamber (pretty pricey) until I have an SOP based on some basic understanding. Any tips or suggested reading would be greatly appreciated.

JWHarris

Grade - Active

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:05 AM

The Howard Mold test requires training and practice to develop the skill necessary for accuracy, and even though you have a microscope, it may not be the best one for this application.

I suggest you contact the lady below to receive proper onsite training and validation of your equipment selection. She is associated with UC Davis (California) and is a very good instructor, trusted by many of us in the tomato industry as the "final word" on Howard Mold counts.

http://www.ngp-consulting.com/

Best of luck to you!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mold, raw ingredients, howard mold, sop, cold pressed juice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users