• IFSQN Active
  • 25 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Hi All!

Things are going well with the improvements I'm trying to make to my companies Quality Program but I have recently ran into an obstacle. I recently created a clearly Corrective and Preventative Action (CAPA). I wrote what I believe is a well thought out policy and procedure. I have a spreadsheet that I use for monitoring the status of corrections, and I have biweekly meetings where we create plans of actions for the corrections.

Here the problem...

My Corrective Action Meeting has become more about process improvements rather than quality corrections. Both are important and I should be tracking both, but I can't figure out if there is a way to marry CAPA and Process Improvement (i.e. Continuous Improvement). It's just not the right time to introduce another formalized program at my company. It was really challenging to even get buy in with the CAPA program.

Just looking for some general pointers and little encouragement. Has anyone out there successfully merged Corrective Actions and Continuous Improvement. I need to figure out a way to have one overarching policy with, hopefully, one tracking document. 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

I see no reason to combine both as long as you are still getting the attention to quality improvements.  If you have this on a spreadsheet or database, why not assign a code to "quality" or "process" and agree to spend time in your meetings on the top three issues of each, get them bottomed out then move on?  That way you don't lose sight of the issues of your concern.

I'd also say that a company committed to continuous improvement nearly always has a good food safety and quality culture so I would be careful not to discourage it.  It sounds like everyone is so bought in they're making your programme really a business improvement tool which is what many of us would be absolutely over the moon about!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:10 PM

Why can't you keep it as is and use for both?  Perhaps just add a component to differentiate between "process improvement", "quality corrective action", and "food safety corrective action".  They all pretty much follow the same process...

Don't make it more complicated than needed.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:33 PM

I agree with the above. Keep it simple. 
You have to prioritize findings and make a determination when to implement full blown RCA/CAPA things.

Sometimes you just make a note and have the Lead/Supervisor/Department Head take care of the minor stuff.

Marshall

Tamale

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:25 PM

As we say here « dont trip on the carpet flowers ! » 

If it's broke: corrective action.

If you want to make it better: preventive action/continuous improvement. Very difficult to argue the difference between the two.

Tamale

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Kaizen Events?

nkwekam

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Cameroon
    Cameroon

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hi

corrective action is an outcome of a failure in the food safety/production process. Hence an improved process will produce less food safety incidents. Therefore you should tackle both issues for continual improvement.

cheers

millie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 25 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

Great Feedback everyone! Thank you!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Corrective Action, Continuous Improevement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users