• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Dear FoodSafers ,

I have a serious concern on one cold seafood recipe involving tiger prawns. It was observed that in one of our recipe preparations, we are cooking tiger prawns with shell-on absolutely no dissection prior to cooking except prick a long wooden needle inside to make it straight and cook with it.

After cooking, what I observed was ridiculous, this prawns are now cut from the top to remove facials and then remove shells, and after that they are  marked a slight cut from the top straight to end to remove intestine, and this while removing is broken and there is fecal matter that is touching the ready to eat cold meat. They run in water if needed to remove some particulates.

My Question: Is this process acceptable in terms of hygiene? Is it not the same risk of Foodborne pathogen contamination?

Please I need comments on this from all of our experts, to comment please and advise.

Regards,

Kushal

Ansh3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:03 AM

Dear Kushal,

We did PD & PDTO for shrimps for some time , and the peeling & de-veining process is almost similar to what you have described.

When we run it through running water , mostly the vein is washed out. It is a skilled job tough. It took some time for our workers to be efficient in it.

If your raw material is checked , and the processes follow GMP ,  the vein per-se does not raise any serious foodborne contamination concern.

You may want to read more about PD / PDTO shrimps to learn about the process. 

In some recipes, you are suppose to leave the digestive tract, which is commonly referred to as vein , for a different flavor. It is edible & mostly harmless. Unless you are feeding shrimp harmful feed. 

https://www.thespruc...eveined-1807012

Hope it helps.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kushal2

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:35 AM