Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Hi There! Grouping sugars in the ingredient list is one of the changes on the NFT (Canadian) to help consumers compare sugar content of products more easily. I get some how confused when some sugars appear as sub ingredients of a major ingredient. For example: X, Y, Honey, Corn syrup, BBQ seasoning (wheat flour, salt, sugar................). Has anyone been faced with this same problem? And how do you make the sugar in the BBQ seasoning part of the sugar grouping. 

Thanks in advance 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

I'm not Canadian but you can do this in the UK (but aren't currently obliged to).  If you have something which is a sub ingredient then you can split it out and total up.  So say on a marinaded chicken piece you might have:

Chicken breast, BBQ sauce (vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper), sugar, smoky chipotle chilli paste (chipotle chilli, smoked paprika, sunflower oil).

You'd just then find out the % of each ingredient then total up the ones which are the same and you might come to:

Chicken breast, vinegar, sugar, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, chipotle chilli, sunflower oil, cayenne pepper.

The real upside is it makes it harder for someone to copy your recipe as well.

One question I have though which I think you've alluded to is when sugar is in hidden forms, how do you represent those?  You can easily add corn syrup, honey, glucose syrup etc.  They aren't sucrose but they are sugar so you can't combine them all into one entry?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users