• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does a person approving an SOP need to be then certified as a trainer?

Share this

Best Answer , 18 January 2018 - 05:26 AM

Hi Matthew,

For on the job/operational training trainers may well be competent based on qualifications/experience. I would therefore have a register of trainers (with details of competency) or have training included in job descriptions of the people that do such specialized training.

I have seen train the trainer qualifications for members of staff that do regular other sorts of training such as Induction, Hygiene, Food Safety, Internal Audits etc. although I don't it is necessary if you have evidence of competency of the trainer and trainees after receiving the training.

Kind regards,

Tony

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

Hi there ~

Does a person who approves a standard operating procedure (SOP) need to be then certified as a trainer before they can train people?

I've never heard of such a thing and it seems rather redundant.  I would hope that the person approving the SOP knows it well enough to train people on it.

We manufacture dietary supplements in the United States.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:26 AM   Best Answer

Hi Matthew,

For on the job/operational training trainers may well be competent based on qualifications/experience. I would therefore have a register of trainers (with details of competency) or have training included in job descriptions of the people that do such specialized training.

I have seen train the trainer qualifications for members of staff that do regular other sorts of training such as Induction, Hygiene, Food Safety, Internal Audits etc. although I don't it is necessary if you have evidence of competency of the trainer and trainees after receiving the training.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hi Matthew,

I include in my training policy a list of trainers that includes all signatories on the SOP (as they presumably have the skillset to review and approve) and all "management positions". Can't speak for dietary supplements but in food I've seen it work well for both 50 person companies and 400 person companies. As Tony stated, these people should have the requisite qualifications/experience indicated somewhere, I include it in the job descriptions as part of the role "must be able to provide effective training on company policies and procedures relevant to the positions".

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users