• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a third party storage facility a supplier?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Jvalentin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and we are a Japanese Green Tea Company.  We are currently trying to get our SQF Certification. 

Now my question is: Outside of our facility we use a 3rd party storage warehouse that temporarily holds our Green Tea due to lack of storage space at ours.  I order from them when needed.  I do receive an invoice and this 3rd party storage warehouse is SQF certified.  What would we consider them, would they be considered a Supplier or just a storage facility?  If so how do I document that and do I need to do an internal audit or them having the SQF Certification is suffice.  By the way this may be the first of many questions to come.  

Thank you

John

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

Technically speaking, they are a contracted service in the supply chain.

I would however treat them like a supplier from the standpoint of what you require them to provide to you in compliance with your approved supplier program... even though they are not a supplier so to speak.

By the way, Brooklyn is a great area to be in. Have enjoyed visiting a bakery client that is located there.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jvalentin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

HI Glenn, 

I was on the fence and that was the approach I was leaning towards and will move forward with the Supplier approval towards them.  Will using their SQF Certification be suffice or will I need to do an internal audit considering that they do hold our product?

I am in Industry City in Sunset Park when you get a chance google it, it is a beautiful area to work at.  The only problem is rush hour  :angry:

Thank you again.

Vladimir Surcinski

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hi JValentin,

I would say that this is a service supplier for you. You defined the specification for this service (what you need), or details through the contract. So this is your supplier.
Accordingly you should evaluate your supplier for performances in defined time intervals (once per year for example).
For my expiriance it is always good to do some audit and to check what is going on there :)

I hope I helped you!

Vlada

Poslato sa WAS-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka

Thanked by 1 Member:

johnnydoughert

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:35 AM

I will start off by apologizing if this isn't the right location for this post. I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find anything for my specific questions and then I found this. Is there any other company that provides a warehousing is this pandemic?

johnnydoughert

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:34 PM

To answer you, a third-party warehouse is a storage facility owned by a commercial provider outside your company. I saw BRI third party warehousing and distribution online and they seem like a company that provides something needed such as a product or service. Although we can treat them like a supplier even though they are not really supplier. They are authorized by customs and any other authorities to export good to various places and also taking responsibilities for customs authorities, supplier may or may not be the goods of seller.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users