• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can we pack cooked product and raw product with the same machines?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Qualitelpcn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hello Everyone, 

I need your help !

The company I work for purchase a new:  VC999 Packaging Systems is a global leader in the design and manufacturing of Vacuum Chamber Machines, Horizontal Thermoforming (rollstock) Form-Fill-Seal Packaging Machines, Tray Sealer, and Skin Packaging, as well as other ancillary items, packaging materials.

What they want to use it for is to pack cook product and raw product with the machines. But this would be on different production date. Not cooked product and raw product at the same time. 

I don't think that we can use the same machine to do raw product one day clean the machine and the room and the next day do Cooked packaging ??? 

But my manager thinks that with the right procedures in place its possible :S 

The room will have 2 doors at each end one that has acess to the cooked side and one door that as acess to the raw side. And both would be self looked etc... 

Do you know if this would be something that BRC would approve ? 

We process Lobster 

Thanks 

Quality Ben

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality, Laboratory, Technical Issues, Water Activity and Migration, VITAL, Allergens, Fresh Produce, Post Harvest, Cold Smoked Fish, Non Pasteurised Caviar, Cook/Chill, Listeria Hunting & Eradication/Environmental monitoring programs, Small-Goods, HACCP, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving, Risk Mitigation, Listeria.spp., High Risk, Chemistry, Cleaning and Sanitation, Biosecurity, Consultancy, Training, Process Control

Food Safety = Science + Culture

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

My personal opinion.......this is a bad idea.

You will be relying only on pre-req programs to negate risk. They cannot negate but only help control........it's all about the hurdles my friend!

Taking away the zoning and this separation removes one of your main hurdles that helps you control the risk to your RTE.

Some considerations - 

• how will you zone this?? (as per BRC production zone decision tree 1)
  • how would you prove no risk to RTE? 
  • how would you prove equipment used for non RTE is 'safe' for RTE the next day??
  • would you have separate utensils, benches, equipment etc for each process?

Maybe ask your manager to show you how this would work by using the BRC production zone decision tree....and maybe sit down with them and show them all the sections and reqs re high risk / care in BRCv7.

Qualitelpcn

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hello 

Thank you very much for your reply ! 

I myself agree with you ...its a bad idea. 

But my manager and the supervisor in that department are so convinced that we are capable of using that room for packaging both cooked and raw product. It sad that i`m the one left having to proved them wrong. 

I will go and have a meeting with my manager and make her go trough the decision tree for BRC and see  if that will make them open their eyes.

Thanks 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Hi Qp,

This illustrates a worst case scenario -

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/6983113.stm

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hi Qp,

This illustrates a worst case scenario -

http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/6983113.stm

Charles beat me to it.  I was going to say "google Mason Jones".  Don't worry about BRC, worry about killing people.  There are sometimes justifications for segregation not being possible by physical means and so segregation by time is the alternative but raw and cooked is not one of those occasions.  It would be interesting to know exactly what raw and cooked items you're referring to but my initial knee jerk reaction is "hell no!"  People build whole factories around keeping raw and cooked apart.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

Sorry, just reread your post.  Lobster.  Nope.  People will eat the cooked lobster cold.  Just don't do it.  E Coli is presumably a very real risk with the raw lobster.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users