• Quick Navigation
Photo

Will My Refrigerator Ultimately Be My Demise?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

JollyBlancher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:09 AM

I have been buying Bush Pinto Beans in the bulk cans for years. I eat them everyday. Because, It takes me about 7-10 days to go through an entire bulk can. So, I just recently started portioning the bulk cans out into little plastic ziploc bags that I store in a larger container in a mini-fridge with a very small top freezer.

For the past week or so I thought I had finally figured out the best way to save money on my meals and do it in a healthy way. After today, it seems the challenge is still upon me.

For about the past 3 days I've been pulling a ziploc bag out of my larger container from the freezer for dinner and cooking the beans from a fairly frozen state. Well, the beans end up breaking down into a mush.

Today, I decided to pull a frozen bag out of the freezer about 4 hours before dinner and put it in the refrigerated portion of my mini-fridge. I know better than to thaw at room temperature.

To my surprise, the bag I was going to pull out was already thawed. And I said to myself, what's going on? Is my refrigerator broken? Well, I think my refrigerator is working very well but it's going through defrosting phases.

So, behind my back, my frozen ziploc bags of beans are, apparently being thawed and re-frozen, for all I know, on a daily basis.

Learning this today just makes me want to give up sometimes. No matter, how hard you try to be safe, something is always going to get you.

Having the beans thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze on a daily basis cannot be safe, can it?

I've eaten spoiled beans before, yes knowingly because I didn't want to waste them. And I'll probably do the same since I only have 2 ziploc bags left. But I'm not stupid enough to continue doing this.

Can someone let me know if I am overreacting on this? I plan to use a larger upright freezer that doesn't go through these thawing cycles, or do they? I just don't know.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

I don't understand, Why put canned food in a Freezer?

IMEX non-overloaded, functional Freezers (-12degC > -18degC) do not thaw their contents. You need a new, proper, freezer. Or a repairman,

If you are really concerned, maybe see this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...m-i-in-trouble/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JollyBlancher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

I don't understand, Why put canned food in a Freezer?

IMEX non-overloaded, functional Freezers (-12degC > -18degC) do not thaw their contents. You need a new, proper, freezer. Or a repairman,

If you are really concerned, maybe see this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...m-i-in-trouble/

Because, once the bulk can is opened the beans are now exposed to air and they would spoil in 3-5 days if I only refrigerated them. I thought I explained all this pretty well in the original post. Maybe I don't understand your question.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

One of the funniest posts I've read on here, thank you!!!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Because, once the bulk can is opened the beans are now exposed to air and they would spoil in 3-5 days if I only refrigerated them. I thought I explained all this pretty well in the original post. Maybe I don't understand your question.

Sorry, i thought you meant the unopened cans > freezer. Stranger events have been known.

Regret no idea what Pinto beans are (sounds like they resist freezing) or yr can net weight but I suggest (in addition to new freezer) to switch to smaller cans and vary yr diet a little.

I occasionally eat canned baked beans ca 300g and this stores OK in chilled section 2-3 days. Excessive BB consumption poses a Blazing Saddles risk of course.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

JollyBlancher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

One of the funniest posts I've read on here, thank you!!!

"Whaddya mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny? I'm funny how, I mean funny, like I'm a clown? I amuse you. I make you laugh?"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

I'd chuck the beans and get a new freezer.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

bornyesterday

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 48 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

Pinto beans are the bean commonly used in Mexican cuisine here in The States as 'refried beans'.  I've always enjoyed them best in their refried state with the consistency of peanut butter (stiff!).

That said, the defrost cycle of your freezer shouldn't be thawing to the extent you are experiencing.  You might wish to consult your trusted appliance repair-person for their experience with your specific refrigeration unit.

“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."  - Henry Ford

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:53 PM

Sorry, i thought you meant the unopened cans > freezer. Stranger events have been known.

Regret no idea what Pinto beans are (sounds like they resist freezing) or yr can net weight but I suggest (in addition to new freezer) to switch to smaller cans and vary yr diet a little.

I occasionally eat canned baked beans ca 300g and this stores OK in chilled section 2-3 days. Excessive BB consumption poses a Blazing Saddles risk of course.

"Excessive BB consumption poses a Blazing Saddles risk of course."

This has to be the best thing I've read in a long time...I can't stop laughing as I'm mentally replaying that scene in my mind...thanks, Charles.C!!!  Hahahahahaha!!

Karenconstable

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 38 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

I reckon you'll be fine!

Firstly your beans have a pretty low microbial load when you put them in the freezer (because they've been canned and because ziplock bags are essentially sterile on the inside).

Secondly, when the freezer does its thaw cycle (almost all domestic freezers do this), the beans, although thawing, should still remain pretty cold.  They would need to get hotter than 5 degrees Celsius for more than 2 hours before they would begin to become unsafe.

Thirdly, you are cooking your beans before you eat them.  

I think you are safe to eat your beans.  And keep your freezer. 

Regards,

Karen Constable

Food Fraud Prevention (VACCP) Programs | Food Fraud Training |

Consulting | Advisory | Compliance

The Rotten Apple Newsletter

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users