• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,383 posts
  • 554 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Hi All,

I'm not familiar with using AIB but would love to know more about it.  I have heard it's more hygiene and pest focused than other standards and very much a factory rather than a systems audits.

Do you use it?  Do you like it?  What benefits has it brought to your site?  Is the standard freely available?

Thanks in advance.

#2 jcieslowski

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

At my last job we used AIB for many years and were pleased with the service.  I'd say they (along with everyone really) have stepped it up over the past few years to provide a standard that isn't terribly far off from a GFSI level standard and is a good 'stepping stone' to a GFSI program.  I think you can download the standard from their website if you submit your email address - of course they'll call / follow up with their sales department.  

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

#3 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,001 posts
  • 463 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

AIB has been stepping it up in the last few years ever since they got super defensive over being criticized for high scores at peanut corporation of america.

Even still, I never considered it any better than an FDA audit, I'd just as soon see your local state inspection report as an AIB one. They're only helpful if you aren't inspected by the state/feds anyway. They are a CB though, so they can audit any number of standards, I speak purely to their sanitation/GMP audits.

The training and other resources they provide are excellent though, they have great industry knowledge and resources.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

Thanked by 1 Member:
GMO

#4 GMO

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,383 posts
  • 554 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

AIB has been stepping it up in the last few years ever since they got super defensive over being criticized for high scores at peanut corporation of america.

Even still, I never considered it any better than an FDA audit, I'd just as soon see your local state inspection report as an AIB one. They're only helpful if you aren't inspected by the state/feds anyway. They are a CB though, so they can audit any number of standards, I speak purely to their sanitation/GMP audits.

The training and other resources they provide are excellent though, they have great industry knowledge and resources.

Thanks for the info; I did hear that about PCA but interesting you see it as no better than an FDA.  I'm sure it depends on the auditor but the one FDA I had was so basic I was shocked.

#5 jcieslowski

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

I think that the AIB audit is much more intensive than the FDA audit, at least what I have.  FDA was ONLY concerned with my HACCP plan for my seafood product when they were here.  They didn't look at any of my non-HACCP specific records or programs, calibrations, preventative maintenance, etc.

#6 jcieslowski

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 32 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:37 PM

Also worth noting that a customer is not going to 'care' about an FDA audit.  Saying you are inspected by the FDA is good and fine, but my customers want to know that I've received a 3rd party audit or, better yet, am certified against a GFSI recognized scheme.  An FDA audit isn't going to provide any of that for your customers. 

#7 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Principal
  • 829 posts
  • 177 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:We specialize in helping small to mid-sized food companies to develop & implement SQF Systems to achieve certification in a relatively short period of time. Our operational area includes all of the America's with 99% of our business in the USA.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

Years back I worked as a 3rd party auditor (prior to becoming an SQF Auditor) for an auditing company that had gotten one of those gigantic supermarket auditing contracts and I found myself auditing a different food or packaging company on a daily basis all over the country.

Our audit format was developed in conjunction with the chain and the auditors as well as the auditing company - it was I still feel to this day the best all around audit format to follow, rather stringent but at the same time it allowed good auditors to not have to get into grey areas and the auditors could remain firm in application by at the same time fair.

I'm saying all of this because we found the closest format for an audit to be the one done by AIB.

However, this is where is faltered - I don't know if it was AIB or the the training of their Auditors - but, we were almost routinely coming up with grades/scores on facilities that were in many cases substantially lower than what AIB Auditors had.

All of us got the point where we'd actually cringe when walking in a facility that proudly displayed their SUPERIOR AIB certificates on the wall, because we knew that if we did the job we were there to do, that at the end of the day it could be a rough outbriefing due to those inflated AIB audit certificates.

I think their watershed moment was when they had the Auditor that basically looked the other way and top rated Peanut Corporation of America.

Since those years, I'm not sure what AIB has improved on their so called standard.

All I know is that today I rarely see companies that tout AIB audits.

Warm regards,

Glenn Oster

SQF Registered Consultant - Certified for 29 FSC's

Serving clients in: USA, Costa Rica, Panama & Caribbean Islands

International Toll-Free: 800-546-1452

http://www.linkedin.com/in/getgoc

www.GlennOsterConsulting.com

#8 FurFarmandFork

FurFarmandFork

QA Manager/FS Blogger

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,001 posts
  • 463 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

All I know is that today I rarely see companies that tout AIB audits.

I'd agree with Glen there, the reputation is still pretty bad, and I see AIB audits from many "not so great" suppliers, whereas others do an NSF, MXNS, or trade organization audit for "prereq programs".

As to the FDA audit being useless, again not saying it's anything special. But the FDA audit reports typically have just as many "findings" as any AIB one. And I can request them from the state for suppliers that are slow to respond.

QA Manager and food safety blogger in Oregon, USA.

Interested in more information on food safety and science? Check out Furfarmandfork.com for more insights!

Subscribe to have one post per week delivered straight to your inbox.

#9 ncwingnut

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

We had used AIB for years, before becoming SQF Certified.  We still use them as our certification body, but that is completely a seperate realm from their GMP inspection auditors.

We always had a good experience with them, but once we went on to GFSI, found that it was rather redundant to have both.  We still have many warehouse/brokers that use them and haven't had any complaints.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users