Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Hi, I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate topic, but after a lot of searching, I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm wondering (according to SQF code) if we are required to create our own internal specifications for raw materials or if we can use the specifications provided by the material suppliers.  

Thank you!

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 111 posts
  • 49 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

We use the suppliers specifications for raw materials.  This is part of our approved supplier program and vetting of the individual supplier, including each raw material supplied.  There should be some sort of verification that the supplier is providing your company with the materials that they say they are supplying in the specifications.  This would be micro, chemical or sensory properties depending on the specification(s).  I have actually never heard of anyone creating their own specifications for raw materials (unless the company is a raw material supplier), only creating specifications for items that are being produced.  

:coffee:

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

I've done both and there are pro's and cons to each.

Use theirs: Pro, you don't have to write them, Con, they may suck and the lack of dating requires you to request them all the time or do some other written review.

Use yours: Pro, you don't necessarily have to contact them if you outline your own expectations for the product, so no waiting for suppliers and they have the info you need. Con, you have to write them all.

I use my own specs for contract service providers and supplier specs for materials, some of which are simply a picture of the label (e.g. with film).

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

Hello, 

It could be be from you as buyer of have the raw material specification that you want from your supplier. But on its absence you can copy their specification, which you can use it during your raw mat receiving/acceptance in you plant.

regards,

redfox

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

You can, but you need to vet them out.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:26 AM

Hi, I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate topic, but after a lot of searching, I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm wondering (according to SQF code) if we are required to create our own internal specifications for raw materials or if we can use the specifications provided by the material suppliers.  

Thank you!

HI SFNH,

IMEX raw material specifications are obliged to be mutually, documentationally, signed. This is to hopefully minimise bias, technical impossibilities and misunderstandings.

IMEX many sources/receivers (choose to?) have limited appreciation of where raw materials actually come from, their ecological background, their "natural" environmental contaminants / associated foreign materials, etc. Not to mention a lack of awareness of sampling limitations.

Generic microbiological expectations are a prime source of  QA redactions, eg enduring favorites like - "the raw material shall not contain pathogens," "the raw material shall be free of bacteria", etc, etc.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:01 AM

We have our own raw material specifications for our ingredients. We can derive these from our supplier specs but they are specific to our own requirements due to the complexity of some of our products.

These product/purchasing requirements contain all of our own specific requirements with regards to assured status,(Halal, kosher, organic etc) contaminants, the  micro limits, the level of chemical properties etc, packaging sized (OH&S), palletising, number of lots per batch, size of lots etc which are all  applicable to our material handling and the end product.  If the vendor/manufacturer deviates outside these specs then we can have failed product.

These specs are also used by our procurement team so they can source alternative suppliers of our ingredients that meet our needs. They are very helpful during the tendering process as each prospective tender knows our minimum material requirements and if they can or cannot meet them.

SFarmsNH

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

Thank you all for your input!  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic