• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Fiji
    Fiji

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:21 AM

Hi all,

Just a question. This is in regards to section 2.3.1.1 of the SQF code edition 8. We're just a bit confused. Do we have to do process capability only if we have new products, or do we have to do that even if we don't have new products. If anyone could help me out in this, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Tunaplant

lentilheather

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

SQF Code Edition 8 " 2.3.1.1 The methods and responsibility for designing, developing and converting product concepts to commercial realization shall be documented and implemented."

To me this means you have to have the methods and responsibility documented even if you don't have plans of adding new products. SQF wants to know what you would do if you were to add new products. 

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

tunaplant

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Fiji
    Fiji

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

SQF Code Edition 8 " 2.3.1.1 The methods and responsibility for designing, developing and converting product concepts to commercial realization shall be documented and implemented."

To me this means you have to have the methods and responsibility documented even if you don't have plans of adding new products. SQF wants to know what you would do if you were to add new products. 

Would we have to conduct process capability on it? 

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

Yep, a statement to the effect of:

"new products with additional processing requirements, limits, or capacity needs shall be evaluated against current equipment capability to determine if the product can be produced within specification without modification or new installations."

Really, if you have a dairy and want to start making Gatorade, SQF wants to to note that you will actually make sure you are CAPABLE of producing such a product within it's regulatory and quality needs.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sqf edition 8, process capability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users