• Quick Navigation
Photo

Food safety hazard assessment (bacillus subtilis)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

michelle.paje

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

I want to ask an idea from the expert.. I am currently working in pasta manufacturing plant and one of our raw material is wheat flour. Flour manufacturing is sister company of our pasta plant. Currently i am doing hazard assessment of B. subtilis in wheat flour as our raw material. Base on our hazard evaluation matrix, the likelihood will fall on "not expected to occur because it was not happen to our pasta manufacturing plant nor to our wheat flour manufacturing but possibly happened to other company". I checked also the regulatory requirements and there has requirement there that B. subtilis shall be NMT 10cfu per gram. Base on the history of the company, we have no positive or more than the limit test results for the past 6 years of the company. Question, in assessment of this hazard, is it possible the likelihood of the hazard (B. subtilis) can raise into "could occur" because there has a regulatory requirements or we will stick to "not expected to occur" because it did not happen to our facility as to date. I hope there has someone who can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Michelle

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

Michelle, I beleive the correct answer is "not expected to occur" based on history of your facility - this still leaves open the possibility that it could occur.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

B. subtilis is only known to cause disease in severely immunocompromised patients, and can conversely be used as a probiotic in healthy individuals.[43] It rarely causes food poisoning.[44] Some B. subtilis strains produce the proteolytic enzyme subtilisin.

B. subtilis spores can survive the extreme heat during cooking. Some B. subtilis strains are responsible for causing ropiness — a sticky, stringy consistency caused by bacterial production of long-chain polysaccharides — in spoiled bread dough. For a long time, bread ropiness was associated uniquely with B. subtilis species by biochemical tests. Molecular assays (randomly amplified polymorphic DNA PCR assay, denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis, and sequencing of the V3 region of 16S ribosomal DNA) revealed greater Bacillus species variety in ropy breads, which all seems to have a positive amylase activity and high heat resistance.[45]

B. subtilis and substances derived from it has been evaluated by different authoritative bodies for their safe and beneficial use in food. In the United States, an opinion letter issued in the early 1960s by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recognized some substances derived from microorganisms as Generally recognized as safe (GRAS), including carbohydrase and protease enzymes from B. subtilis. The opinions were predicated on the use of nonpathogenic and nontoxicogenic strains of the respective organisms and on the use of current good manufacturing practices.[46] The FDA stated the enzymes derived from the B. subtilis strain were in common use in food prior to January 1, 1958, and that nontoxigenic and nonpathogenic strains of B. subtilis are widely available and have been safely used in a variety of food applications. This includes consumption of Japanese fermented soy bean, in the form of Natto, which is commonly consumed in Japan, and contains as many as 108 viable cells per gram. The fermented beans are recognized for their contribution to a healthy gut flora and vitamin K2 intake; during this long history of widespread use, natto has not been implicated in adverse events potentially attributable to the presence of B. subtilis.[citation needed] The natto product and the B. subtilis natto as its principal component are FOSHU (Foods for Specified Health Use) approved by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare as effective for preservation of health.[47]

B. subtilis has been granted "Qualified Presumption of Safety" status by the European Food Safety Authority.[48] B. subtilis is part of the authoritative list of microorganisms with a documented history of safe use in food, established by the International Dairy Federation in collaboration with the European Food and Feed Cultures Association in 2002, and updated in 2012.[citation needed]

http://eol.org/pages/2912748/details

Hi Michelle,

See ^^

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

michellepaje

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Michelle, I beleive the correct answer is "not expected to occur" based on history of your facility - this still leaves open the possibility that it could occur.

thank you so much. i really appreciate your feedback.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

michellepaje

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

thank you very much. i really appreciated this. thank you

michellepaje

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:42 PM

thank you very much sir..

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

Please don't forget to include e coli in your risk assessment......there have been several recalls on flour contaminated with ecoli----I'm assuming that your process does not have a kill step (i could be wrong) this bacteria could pose a threat

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

michellepaje

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

Please don't forget to include e coli in your risk assessment......there have been several recalls on flour contaminated with ecoli----I'm assuming that your process does not have a kill step (i could be wrong) this bacteria could pose a threat

yes we already included e.coli as one of possible hazard from flour during our risk assessment. thank you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users