• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Hello Everyone,

Our company is trying to get certified on this year and I am in charge to help in the process. I have a general understanding of food safety, have more experience with SQF. Thus, I am not sure which of the courses I should take, either:

BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements ( I have read the BRC code, taken webinar and read all the info possible and I feel I understand it)

or

BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Third Party Auditor

What do you guys recommend?

I am looking forward to your responses and Have a Good Day!

GrumpyJimmy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:IronMan Competitor & Film lover
    IFSQN Member of the Month July 2017 and chuffin proud!

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

Supadill Hi, The first thing i would do is get a gap audit done by an experienced BRC auditor. I use one running up to our annual audit and also before our first ever BRC audit, it is the most helpful thing to do and opened up area's of weakness. A good 3rd party auditor can also suggest where training might be helpful. 

J

Thanked by 1 Member:

Murae

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:43 AM

Supadill, if possible why not go on a BRC Food Standard Lead Auditor course. most of these run in a week and you will get a very good understanding of all the requirements.

Murae 

Thanked by 1 Member:

ViandGroup

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

As a third party auditor as well as an Approved Training Partner in the US, you do not need the Third Party Auditor course.  I recommend the Understanding course.  However, you might want to look into someone coming in and training your team for a couple of days.  Once you do that, you may have a better idea if you need a Gap audit or are ready for a global Markets or full-blown BRC audit.

Do you need BRC 7 or can you wait until next year when version 8 is released?  

Feel free to contact me/

Thanked by 2 Members:

kamau

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 64 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

HI Supadill,

In our case,we had all HACCP team members and internal auditors attend a two day course on BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 which was faciitated by BRC ACADEMY.

It was quite useful.

Thanked by 1 Member:

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

one of the first things I would get if I was you is the interpretation of BRC V7 this help you big time. You do know that V7 is in consultation at the moment and you can download V8 draft online. I think it is free. there is a number of online course you can do but it must reach the BRC standard.    

Thanked by 1 Member:

ViandGroup

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

With regard to the Interpretation Guideline, it can be helpful but also remember it is an interpretation and not the Standard.  An auditor will not go by what the Interpretation Guideline says, but what the actual Standard says.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 March 2018 - 02:59 AM

Hello Everyone,

Our company is trying to get certified on this year and I am in charge to help in the process. I have a general understanding of food safety, have more experience with SQF. Thus, I am not sure which of the courses I should take, either:

(a) BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Understanding the Requirements ( I have read the BRC code, taken webinar and read all the info possible and I feel I understand it)

or

(b) BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 7 - Third Party Auditor

What do you guys recommend?

I am looking forward to your responses and Have a Good Day!

Hi Supadill,

I am unsure as to whether yr specific objective is (a) to ensure your Company is certified to BRC7 or (b) to be personally certified as a BRC auditor ?.

Does the course for (b) include all the material for (a) ? If so, and time/finances permit, option (b) seems to be advantageous.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

gazza1973

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

With regard to the Interpretation Guideline, it can be helpful but also remember it is an interpretation and not the Standard.  An auditor will not go by what the Interpretation Guideline says, but what the actual Standard says.

I have found that the non-conformances can be challenged on the back of what the interpretation says.     

Thanked by 1 Member:

supadill

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

Thank you guys for your input. We decided to attend a BRC Third Party Auditor course because we feel is more complex and would help us more in the process of getting certified. We already performed a GAP analysis and need just to update each document and work in some documents as risk analysis for allergens, etc.

Thanks again and Have a good day!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users