• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for those of you sanitarians/QAs that use spiral coolers/freezers.

As part of a cleaning procedure, this company uses 8 of rags (Yes, cotton rags, pieces of towels) embedded in mineral oil to clean/lubricate under the belt. I have never seen such procedure used in spiral coolers (bakery - ready to eat area). As a result of such practice, this company has received multiple complaints when the customer finds those rags with the product. Management claims that that is the only way to do it and even said that the company that builds the spiral cooler recommends that practice. 

What are your thoughts? Could any of you share an SSOP on how to clean spiral coolers/freezers?

Thank you in advance.

Wally

Labor Omnia Vincit

Luke Spencer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hello Wally!

is the belt a mesh material or a solid material?

How many feet?

How large is the freezer and can someone walk into it?

That might help narrow down the field a little.

Luke

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Who is the manufacturer, whatever they recommend is what should be occurring and I doubt the method you described is in the manual

At the very least maintenance should be counting in and out the cloths that they use!!!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

zawape

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Hello Luke, the cooler is similar to the one described here. http://www.gfsystems...erated-coolers/ The picture on the top left.

the baked product goes on a metal conveyor. It takes about 45 minutes for the product run the entire spiral. Can anyone share an SSOP for a spiral cooler? Thank you for your input.

Labor Omnia Vincit

zawape

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

The manufacturer is http://www.gfsystems.com/ I have checked their website and no cleaning procedures available. They even make CIP systems but no mention of a "rag". Here is some additional information on the problem. The processor has been having problems with the belt being ripped off/torn. and the solution the manufacturer was to put some rags embedded in oil during the cleanup. Anything can run smoothly when you put enough oil.

In my opinion the we cant lubricate and clean at the same time. Lubrication (if needed, because I believe there is a structural/design issue) must be done after equipment is cleaned and sanitized by maintenance. 

yes, we have the process of counting the dam rags, but people are people and "make mistakes". To me, to avoid having rags in the product, just don't put the rags in the first place. there has to be a good way to lubricate without introducing foreign material in the production line. Thank you for your time.

Wally

Labor Omnia Vincit

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

Not that this is the solution you want, but they do make antimicrobial lubricants that could be helpful at keeping things lubricated during sanitation events while still helping remove/eliminate organisms. Doesn't help with allergens sticking however.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users