• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

Hi everybody.

I have a question how often do you do calibration for volumetric glassware and for disposable serological pipettes in microbiological labs?

And if you can tell on which document you call on when you make decisions about it?

Thanks in advance

Janie

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:19 PM

Hi everybody.

I have a question how often do you do calibration for volumetric glassware and for disposable serological pipettes in microbiological labs?

And if you can tell on which document you call on when you make decisions about it?

Thanks in advance

Janie

Hi Janie,

Rarely which is probably incorrect in Principle but the accuracy of most (all?) bacterial counts is surely <<< than any volumetric errors.

Certification/accreditation to iso17025 if desired might force a change though.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Janie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Hi Janie,

Rarely which is probably incorrect in Principle but the accuracy of most (all?) bacterial counts is surely <<< than any volumetric errors.

Certification/accreditation to iso17025 if desired might force a change though.

Well, the last year s auditor for iso 17025 insisted that we should do calibration every month. The standard and the appendix that we got with it which is called additional instructions for accreditation of microbiological labs states, that a calibration should be done, but that the freaquncy depends of the needs of each lab. And http://www.european-...ation/ea-4-10-g states that calibration should be done annualy, like my colleagues do in the instrumental part of the lab.

Basicly, I am trying to find any document or any type of defence which I can use do elaborate the fact that I am not doing it monthly, because it is a really way to much unnecessary paperwork.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Well, the last year s auditor for iso 17025 insisted that we should do calibration every month. The standard and the appendix that we got with it which is called additional instructions for accreditation of microbiological labs states, that a calibration should be done, but that the freaquncy depends of the needs of each lab. And http://www.european-...ation/ea-4-10-g states that calibration should be done annualy, like my colleagues do in the instrumental part of the lab.

Basicly, I am trying to find any document or any type of defence which I can use do elaborate the fact that I am not doing it monthly, because it is a really way to much unnecessary paperwork.

Yeah, that sounds awful.

I would say glassware should be calibrated immediately after purchase, then at maximum annually, anything more seems ridiculous.

Automated pipettors or micropipettes probably more often, but I do mine quarterly and have only two.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:47 AM

Hi Janie,

I assume you have some satisfactory calibration data using annual checking.

from BRC7 Calibration, 6.4.2 (and likely other standards also) -

at a predetermined frequency, based on risk assessment

to a defined method traceable to a recognised national or international standard where possible.

I think the above is a satisfactory interpretation of "needs" unless specifically not in compliance with text of yr iso 17025 requirements.

If you have the data and would like a short, BRC-oriented, isqn thread link for a generic-type, retrospective, risk-based procedure to validate the annual frequency please inform.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users