• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF Packaging 13.3.6.1 (Staff Amenities)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Loni Banaszak

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Animals, Garage Sales, Tea Cups, Antiques and Disney

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

I noticed while on a plant tour while auditing 13.3 Personal Hygiene & Welfare that our bathrooms on the production floor do not meet the requirements of 13.3.6.1 (Staff amenities supplied with appropriate lighting and ventilation) We have adequate lighting not ventilation. My question is since the standard doesn't really say what type of ventilation, are we talking about a type of ventilation fan that vents to outside?

What do you have in your bathrooms on the production floor? If you even have them? 

Thanks In Advance, 

Loni 

Thanks,

Loni

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

I would say appropriate ventillation would create negative air pressure in the bathroom so that odors do not escape the entryway. If you have a door that's easier, if you have a visibility impairment hallway that takes a lot more venting. We've got simple bathroom ceiling fans.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

Our clients vent to the outside - maintaining positive air, be sure to consult with a qualified person on this. Can't vent to production for instance and I assume doorways open inward and do not create an pulling airflow issue going into production.

Most companies do not have direct bathrooms in production but adjacent to, down a hallway - shadowed with a false wall, etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Loni Banaszak

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Our clients vent to the outside - maintaining positive air, be sure to consult with a qualified person on this. Can't vent to production for instance and I assume doorways open inward and do not create an pulling airflow issue going into production.

Most companies do not have direct bathrooms in production but adjacent to, down a hallway - shadowed with a false wall, etc.

Our bathrooms on the production floor are enclosed in a "room", a few years ago we received a NC as bathrooms couldn't be directly on the floor. We enclosed them, the break and vending machines. I am hoping if I install vent/fans that pipe to outside or I should then be complaint. 

Thanks,

Loni

Loni Banaszak

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:22 PM

I would say appropriate ventillation would create negative air pressure in the bathroom so that odors do not escape the entryway. If you have a door that's easier, if you have a visibility impairment hallway that takes a lot more venting. We've got simple bathroom ceiling fans.

When you say ceiling fan, are we talking like one id have in m y livening room or a fan that pulls the air out? 

Thanks,

Loni

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:43 PM

I would think with a hard barrier between the production floor and the washrooms that you have adequate ventilation---but if you have the funds and are going to install something is should be an exhaust fan that vents outside--sometimes they are linked directly to the light switch 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Our plant bathrooms are central to the area and are block walls with an "airlock" area (about 6' X 6' we use it for storing TP and paper towels) between the plant and bathroom. We had a system installed that draws from both bathrooms as well as the airlock. It involves a large duct mounted exhaust fan with ducting that draws from the ceilings with return air ducts that draw from the plant. This main duct is vented directly out through the roof. The airlock was the NC for us. The bathrooms open to the plant into the break area which is separated from the plant by steel barriers but not enclosed. If your bathrooms open into another enclosed room that is separated from production you shouldn't need an airlock. And as long as they vent to the outside you should be good.

romanfj

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

My understanding is that an exhaust fan that vents to the outside of the building is required and we also built an airlock (think of it as an enclosed anteroom, not the spaceship airlock) entry to the restrooms.  Ours are smack in the center of the production floor and we've not had an SQF auditor complain in the slightest.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

When you say ceiling fan, are we talking like one id have in m y livening room or a fan that pulls the air out? 

One that pulls the air out, just like when you want to air out the bathroom at home.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users